Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stringer question

Hey guys, I've read most of your resto posts over and over again for years and have gotten more than plenty info and appreciate it all. I'm STILL in the middle of my stringer resto. I've tried to shape the "bottom" of the main stringers to the curvature of the boat and have gone through quite a few pieces of wood doing so only because Im trying to get it done right and not have to redo this again. I've come to the realization that I'm way over thinking this. So I have between 1/4"~ 3/8" gap mainly due to the hull isn't completely flat. I'm planning to use pl premium to bed the stringers also using foam spacers. My question is..... Do I need to worry too much about the gap? I know there should be a little gap so stringers don't set right on the floor causing hard spots. Appreciate any input.
    1991 supra conbrio

That amount of gap should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Agreed. I think I ha e 1/2" gaps at times. I bed mine with polyester peanut butter and just filled in the gaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

Believe it or not but the beefy part of my stringers that sit under the engine and transmission are solid pieces of African mahogany and are pretty flush to the floors as we spent a weekend on just fabricating those two pieces alone. The rest have some gaps in places that were filled in with "peanut butter" as well.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. I'll just go ahead and bed the stringers and go forth. After all, supra damn sure didn't build these boats perfectly right?
    1991 supra conbrio

I used an epoxy paste and CPES as a binder . US Composits and Rot Doctor are good for supply's.

The way I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong please. The most important thing is the layers of glass and resin over the new stringers, not so much the stringers themselves?
    '85 Supra Comp TS6M

Your correct marble falls on the fiberglass, But also of importance is to bed the stringers to the hull. I just got done bedding them and used 1/8" foam spacers to create a space between stringer and hull. From what I've read the stringers are not supposed to be right against the hull to help prevent hard spots in the hull that can lead to cracks. But your right, next is fiberglass over them hopefully next weekend.
    Last edited by mlaosa; 07-19-2016 at 09:32 PM.
    1991 supra conbrio

Thanks for the clarification. I'm in the middle of the exact same restoration. I pulled the tow bar out and need to add some support, but other than that I'm ready to lay decking and glass over! Just got more 1708 and resin today, hoping to jump back on it quickly!!
    '85 Supra Comp TS6M

Good deal! You got done quick! Im not too far from you and go to lake LBJ often. Maybe we can hang out when we get our boats back together.
    Last edited by mlaosa; 07-19-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    1991 supra conbrio