Default Composite stringers

Hello everyone, I have a question concerning stringers on the '91 and older supras. I'm aware of the spotty glassing of the wood stringers on the older boats and how they need replacing. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge to me just trying to learn, read and watch you guys tackle a project like that.

Specifically my question is this: if Supra stopped using wood stringers in their 1992 and newer boats and went all composite then does that mean that we can purchase composite stringers to redo our own? I ask because I've never seen this done, only new wood stringers with heavily glassed/epoxied finishes. Are there actual composite stringers for sale out there that just need shaping to the exact boat it will be installed in?

*Disclaimer* I have never attempted to redo stringers in an older supra. I've only watched it unfold through this forum with the the pics and descriptions that follow. I may be missing something very obvious to you pros out there. My thought was simply that if the factory is using composite stringers then is that something I could also use instead of wood and fiberglass?

Thanks everyone for your input!

I've thought the same thing. Maybe someone will have the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rebuilt a boat with Carbon Core. I am happy with the over all experience and results.

http://www.carbon-core.com/carbonbond-transom.htm

Wulphie, thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of your boat and/or of the process of installing the carbon core product? Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CMsjayPACs Similar product to carbon core.

I really like this idea, I haven't done anything to my boat, but if I do, I'd like to try cutting the top off the stringers and digging out the rotten wood and doing this.

That is basically what I did with my boat. If I end up rebuilding my Supra I am not sure if I would do it the same way.

When I replaced the floor on my Pirata the main stringers were pretty solid but some of the bracing was gone. The fiberglass on them seemed very thin and I doubt it would support the weight of a pourable composite without help. At that point the time, effort and expense of using a pourable composite probably would not be worth it.

The boat I used carbon core on was actually a pretty solid boat. It was a shame to have to cut the floor out because it was dry as a bone and solid. I think what happened with the boat was the previous owner stored the boat with the plug in and the bilge filled up with water over time and the water soaked into the stringers through the various screws and lags. The stringers were basically like mulch but the fiberglass wrapping them was thick and solid. The floatation foam was even dry, it was crazy. In that situation the pourable composite was a quick and easy solution. Much quicker and easier than replacing with wood and wrapping with mat.

The one negative I have found is that the material is so dense and hard that there is no vibration deadening at all compared to wood stringers. My boat has a bad harmonic right around slalom speeds. It is loud. think of when you run a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass and the minute vibration causes a resonance in the glass making it ring loudly. Yeah my boat is loud inside at 30-32 mph. I need to work on that problem at the end of the season.

Interesting stuff for sure. I appreciate the replies wulphie and Chris young.