Default Should Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) be connected on Supra 21v (2005)

Hi all,

We've had our 2005 Supra Launch 21v off the water for 6 months due to a busy period of work.

We're in West Palm so we don't winterize and it's only been stored during warm months.

Prior to storing, I filled it with zero-ethanol gas, then ran it for awhile and moved to storage (leaving it on a trickle-charger).

I just removed it from storage, attempted to start without luck. It does not get a spark.

I started to inspect the engine when I noticed...

Just below the Crank flywheel is a sensor (CKP sensor) that looks like it should be connected, but is not. I can't say whether this was ever connected in the past.

I searched all over for any wires that might connect to the sensor, I couldn't find anything. Then I searched all the forums/Google to determine whether this should be connected on my Indmar Assault 325 HP (MEFI 4-B ECU).

It seems odd there is a sensor sticking out, but nothing connected. On the other hand, I don't know how it would be possible, other than vandelism, for this to go missing -- which causes me to think that maybe there never was anything connected and I'm being paranoid.

In short ... On the 2005 Indmar Assault 325 motor, is the Crank Position Sensor used / should it be connected?

Thank you in advance for any insight!
    Last edited by rkmfl; 07-19-2016 at 05:55 AM.

My post may have been confusing .. To state another way...

Can anyone with an Assault 325 that uses the MEFI 4-B (I think this was 2004 to 2007 or so, possibly?) -- tell me whether the sensor just below the flywheel is connected to anything?

The crank position sensor is not used on that engine. That engine used the Delco EST ignition that does not utilize the crank sensor. We started using the crank sensor when we changed to the HVS ignition in the 2006 model year.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines

Hi Larry,
    Thanks so much for the clarification, I really appreciate it!

It turned out to be a bad fuel pump which is sort of a bummer because I just had it replaced 18 months ago.

Down here in South Florida we don't have a Skier's Choice dealer and the local West Palm Beach Indmar expert is South Florida Mastercraft (great people). They've ordered a new fuel pump but the cost is over $300 because they stated the Supra fuel pump is a bit odd due to having a less standard 1/2" inlet.

By the way, while on the topic of ignitions, I have a quick question. The MEFI 4B is no longer made, correct? Last time I had to order one it cost me about $900. Will these just continue to go up in price -- and will they eventually become so scarce that they can't be purchased? Or is there another option on the horizon for boat owners with older MEFI ignitions?

Thanks again for the great help!
    RKM