Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Leak

Default Fuel Leak

I have noticed the strong odor of gas after filling up the last few times. Today I did a little investigating to discover where it was coming from. As I finished filling the tank I checked the fill lines to the gas tank and no leak was noted. Then I removed the access panel in the floor above the fuel pump and saw gas pouring out where the fuel pump goes through the metal plate on top of the fuel tank. Called my local dealer and they informed me that the fuel pump is $650. That seems awfully steep. A little further investigation and I noticed that the fuel pump actually sits up a little higher than the floor frame so that the access panel actually pushes down on the pump when in place. Seems like a serious design flaw that will only cause the pump to eventually leak again. Anyone have experience with this?
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Here is a picture to show you more
    supra fuel pump.jpg
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

What year and boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=gnarlydude;124493]What year and boat?

Thought it would be obvious in my signature, but it is 2011 Launch 242.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Quote Originally Posted by 4alkings View Post
    I have noticed the strong odor of gas after filling up the last few times. Today I did a little investigating to discover where it was coming from. As I finished filling the tank I checked the fill lines to the gas tank and no leak was noted. Then I removed the access panel in the floor above the fuel pump and saw gas pouring out where the fuel pump goes through the metal plate on top of the fuel tank. Called my local dealer and they informed me that the fuel pump is $650. That seems awfully steep. A little further investigation and I noticed that the fuel pump actually sits up a little higher than the floor frame so that the access panel actually pushes down on the pump when in place. Seems like a serious design flaw that will only cause the pump to eventually leak again. Anyone have experience with this?
    Your note made me want to check mine over the weekend, and there is a gap b/w the pump and the floor, so there is no physical contact w/ the pump on mine. Very odd that your 2011 242 is different in that regard than my 2011 22V.
    Mark
    2011 Launch 22V

Quote Originally Posted by markthered View Post
    Your note made me want to check mine over the weekend, and there is a gap b/w the pump and the floor, so there is no physical contact w/ the pump on mine. Very odd that your 2011 242 is different in that regard than my 2011 22V.
    I agree that its strange. My local dealer put in a call to Skiers Choice and they wanted to know if the floor is sagging or if the fuel tank has shifted. I laid a level across the floor and there is definitely no sagging. Dealer had pulled the floor up a few weeks ago looking for the leak and didn't note any shifting of the tank, but they weren't looking for it either. I'm a bit disappointed with them that they didn't find the leak and I was able to find it without pulling up the floor. Skiers Choice is surprised that the pump is actually higher than the bottom of the floor. They stated that it is tight in there but it should not be that high. Not sure how this is going to get resolved. The pump works fine and doesn't leak unless I fill the tank all the way full. Hard to swallow having to spend $650 for a new fuel pump.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Hey Mark, Do you know if yours has the same fuel pump as mine? You can read the part # in the pic above.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Were the stringers rebuilt? Maybe done things hit altered?

Quote Originally Posted by 4alkings View Post
    Hey Mark, Do you know if yours has the same fuel pump as mine? You can read the part # in the pic above.
    I can check, but it will be a couple of weekends from now. I'm out of town this weekend, and my boat is stored up at the lake, so I don't have quick access to it.
    Mark
    2011 Launch 22V

Just a thought as I read your post.