Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Look for some different valve covers , cause I don't think the aluminum ones you have will work with the manifolds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Alright guys, I got the old engine pulled yesterday. Lucked out by a granite shop my brother worked for letting me used their shop crane. Made it simple. Had 6 bolts loosened. Took all of 1 hr to back the boat in. Hoisting the engine. And dropping it into the truck bed. Now time to start swapping parts in the garage and removing those stubborn bolts in the manifolds how y'all suggested. image.jpg
    image.jpg

Soak the bolts in some rust penetrant , tap the head with a dead blow hammer and a punch , tighten first then loosen , then tight then try to back it out . Heat it up if all else fails

Here's another update. Still a no go on the manifold bolts. I have tried all of your suggestions. Thank you. I did manage to extract one. I think I will end up drills mg them out.

As for rotation. The old motor has a 1:1 percent tranny. Research tells me it's a clockwise rotation engine along with the new engine. Should all pair up.. Hopefully.

I ended up having to swap more than I thought including the water pump, the timing chain cover, the oil pan, distributor, valve covers. Pulleys, oil pump screen, and all the gaskets that go
    Along with that. So that's where I am today. I received the wr My gasket for the timing chain can get unless that would all be back and installed. While the parts were off. I cleaned everything in engine degreaser and Clr. Added some paint and poof. Blue and yellow theme.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You need to buy a impact air 3/8 drive or 1/2 and use the impact to buzz them off . But they may snap that's why I always tighten , loosen , tighten , then try to back it out . Use a longer bar or pipe to gain leverage

Already tried an impact gun. They are hex keys. Meaning you can get a socket around the bolt heads. They go into the bolt head as a Ellen wrench would. The inside went from hexagon to a circle in the inner part of the bolt head.

Anyways I'm going to get after the headers again sometime but iv been staying pretty busy with everything else. today I got the timing chain cover, water pump, harmonic balancer and all my pulley assemblies besides the alternator on. I also got the transmission transferred over as well. all that's left is valve cover gaskets to get them back on permanently. A gasket for a water intake. And of course the headers which I can assemble after the motor is in back in the boat if need be. Here are some pictures.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Here is is dropped back onto the boat. I won't get it out this season but I hope to have it ready for next spring. Thanks for all the help and I am sure I will have more questions as I hook everything up especially electrical. IMG_2601.jpg

Back to the project this week. I am currently on the mission to connect up all the wiring and fuel lines. I appreciate all the help with the exhaust manifolds and trying to remove the bolts, however I decided to buy new exhaust manifolds as the old ones are very rusty.

Also, does anyone know what this is? It's on the back of the block on the upper left side above the tranny. I overtightened it and broke it off.

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Also, does anyone know what this is? It's on the back of the block on the upper left side above the tranny. I overtightened it and broke it off.

Take a pic of the location where it was installed . Could be oil press , but most 351 are buy oil filter housing