Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ignition work - coil, cap, etc.

I recently had a bit of a 'miss' during holeshot and top speed runs. I was able to isolate to electrical. I had a coil problem, so I replaced with a NAPA IC-14 and left my electronic ignition in place. When installing the new coil the previous owner had left all the wire leads in place, so there's an excess bit of positive / negative wire to the coil.

Now, this may be my auto racing / engineering / 'german' based background - but I want to shorten up these leads to the electronic ignition to mate up to the coil in a cleaner fashion.

Am I OK to shorten these leads? Or is there some reason they're a certain length from the manufacturer?

Thanks!

I don't see any reason not.

Thanks Michael. I cleaned up the wiring, installed new coil and all runs as designed. No more miss.
    Best,
    Chris

Anyone have the NAPA part # for an 86 Pleasurecraft 351? I stumped the late night guy at my NAPA and didn't have the distributor cap with me to refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    Anyone have the NAPA part # for an 86 Pleasurecraft 351? I stumped the late night guy at my NAPA and didn't have the distributor cap with me to refer to.
    Just pick an 85 pick-up that would have the same engine. They'll have them in stock.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Anyone have this type of issue with a boat like mine? 08 22V. I seem to have a cylinder that will miss, but sporadically. It will come out of it when cruising down the lake, then it will go back a little while later. I was going to start with replacing the plugs. Any other thoughts? fuel filter with water in it maybe?
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Are they coil on top of plugs ? Or wires ?

Inspect boots and or could be bad cool but 80% of the time it's not the coil , but cannot be sure without a noid light or coil tester .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Wires, all boots and writes look good visually. I'm hoping not electrical, but who knows. I guess I'll start with the plugs and go from there. Thanks
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

Don't throw parts at it , by a noid light or volt meter to verify .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

If I have a standard volt meter how do I test each one while running? Pull and test from the cap? Or the plug end? Do you know what each wire should test at? Appreciate the help! Thanks
    2008 Sunsport 22 V