Default Stuffing Box - Help with ID and adjustment

My stuffing box is leaking a bit. I'm getting a drip every couple seconds when stopped.

I've read how to tighten and repack them. Seems straight forward.

My issue is that the stuffing box in our boat does not look like anything I've found pictures of. I'm not seeing the adjustment nuts anywhere.

Hoping someone here is familiar with what I have.

Stuffing.jpg

Stuffing 2.jpg
    1986 Sunsport Skier with Acme 543

Looks like the original I have an 86 pirata replaced with drippless from skiddim have not had any problems since

Never seen one like that. Pull it off and see how it works? Or replace with a standard packing gland or one of the various dripless setups. Check your engine alignment and that your strut isn't bent, looks like the shaft is pretty far off from the angle of the log.

That's not what I have on the 89 Sunsport. Looks like there is port on top there. Maybe some kind of Sterngland? (http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com...ernglands.aspx). What's up with the ring on the drive shaft?

It looks like part of a dripless system mixed with part of a traditional system. A drip every few seconds isn't cause to replace it but if you do, I'd probably just buy a PSS kit from SkiDim and forget about it.

I'd also replace that PVC water intake elbow with a brass one. That's a huge no-no and a incredibly weak point in your cooling system that will sink your boat when it cracks/fails.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

+1 on replacing the PVC elbow. I did mine last year. I must say though that when I did I had to cut it off and was very surprised just how robust it was.

Good info on the PVC elbow. I'll look into replacing with brass.

Where do you buy brass fittings?

It looks like the stuffing box is from Glenwood Marine.

http://www.glenwoodmarine.net/Catalog/SHAFT%20LOG.pdf

I found some info that Supra used it in the mid 80's. It has a grease zerk on the top. Grease keeps the seal pliable and water out.
    Seals are still available. The only issue is that it appears I have to pull the shaft to replace the seal. My understanding is that the shaft coupler is press fit on.
    Seems like a real PITA to get into to replace the seal. If I have to pull the shaft I'm replacing this with either a traditional stuffing box or the Skidim dripless.

The shaft alignment does look weird in that pic. It looks straight in the boat. I decided to pull everything and slide it up the shaft to take a look at the shaft - log alignment.
    Found that both the lock bolts on that little stainless collar have their heads snapped off...
    Now I'm not sure what to do. If I try to cut the collar off I risk damaging the shaft.

Realistically I have 8-10 days of boating left this season. Sad to think about, but with vacations, school starting, etc I'm thinking that is realistic.

I'm tempted to put it back together as it was with fresh grease. Live with the dripping and address this over the winter.

Thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Poorhouse View Post

I'm tempted to put it back together as it was with fresh grease. Live with the dripping and address this over the winter.

Thoughts on that?
    Your plan is exactly what I would do at this point in the season.

Also, the coupler isn't pressed on. You can get it off by placing something (socket?) in between the shaft and the transmission flange and tightening the bolts. This pushes the shaft out if it's stuck in the coupler. I've never even had to do this -- with the bolts out of the coupler it should come apart with a little coaxing. Regardless, I'd rock it as-is for the rest of this season.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

I'm going to button it up tonight.

Just getting back to this now. Had planned on dealing with it over the winter but we had a bunch of water damage to our house.
    Still battling Safeco on the claim.

Anyway, I had to cut off the safety collar and nicked the shaft in the process. Ordered a new ARE double taper shaft and pss seal.