Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading 2006 21v Ballast System (Wakemakers Kit)

I have a 2006 21v, now that I've upgraded the bags to 1100 center and 750 rears (plus purchased a ronix surf shaper) this thing is perfect for my needs, the only problem as we all know is the crappy sprinkler valve system.

I purchased the complete overhaul kit from wakemakers, intending to make it easy on myself and have it dealer installed.

Two problems with that:

1. my local supra dealer "wont install aftermarket products they don't sell".

2. the local mastercraft dealer quoted 12+ labor hours to do the job, wakemakers quoted 5.

Has anyone out there done this themselves? how long did it actually take you and did you have to take the floor out?

Has anyone out there had a dealer install the kit? If so, any idea what your bill was?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting this done with some time left in the WI boating season.

What do you plan on installing instead of the sprinkler valve system? I changed out all my bags and pumps and everything works great with the existing sprinkler system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moo...m-upgrade.html <---- I bought this when they ran a sale awhile back, so I got it for around $765. I haven't gotten around to doing the install because I was undecided on trying to do it myself - then doing the run around with the supra dealer refusing to install it, wakemakers quoting approx 5 hour install (as DIY even) and the mastercraft dealer quoting 10-12 hours labor cost (@$95 an hour).

Surely someone has upgraded the sprinkler valve system before here? Any help or advice appreciated! Greatly!

Nobody here has purchased and installed the supra 21v upgrade kit from wakemakers? I still haven't installed the kit, probably will have dealer do it - but curious to hear from others on how big a project it was to do on their own.

I did the upgrade a 2-3 years ago. It's a good weekend project for someone comfortable working on boats and has all the supplies. A buddy will also help.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 03-10-2017 at 01:14 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Here's your time - start adding up how long you think it would take 1 person to do this, and remember, there are some tight areas to work in.

You will find the videos online - here are a few.

1. Disconnect the battery and taking out the existing system sprinkler system.

2. Drilling 2 new holes in the bottom of the boat. You need the right tools. Then decide on the location (important). There are some videos on how to drill a hole w/o wrecking the gel coat
    Once the holes are drilled, you can setup the thru-hull fittings and valves with the proper sealant. Tighten from the inside. I do not connect anything to them until the next day. Let it setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8op...8#action=share

3. Decide were to mount the pumps and mount them. Remember you will need to have access to take the impeller out of the pumps.

4. Run the proper gauge wire from the pumps to switches.

5. Remove and replace the new switches.

6. The pumps draw about ?30A? when they start. You need to have the proper fuses coming from the dash to the switches. Buy extra fuses if you do not have open breakers under the dash.

I also installed a new bus-bar from the battery (under the dash) to run the pumps and the new led lights. So I had inline fuses from the switches to the bus bar. Then add'l work to wire the bus bar to the battery. Not hard, just took time and extra $ for the proper wire.

7. Before I sealed up the wires, I tested all the connections and pumps. Use the proper wire connectors and seal it up with heat-shrink.
    2 wire connections on each of the 3 pumps.
    4 wire connections on each of the 3 switches.

https://www.wakemakers.com/pre-wired...connector.html
    https://www.wakemakers.com/resources...pump-switches/

8. Then I pulled all the old ballast hose out. Measured new hoses for the pump-to-ballast bag and from the pump-to-thru-hull fitting. Reinstalled proper bag fittings. Once this was done, I did not connect anything to bottom of the boat to make sure the new thru-hull fittings were setup properly.

9. Then hide all the wires and hoses.

I think those were the order of the steps . . . . . .

If you are not comfortable with wires, that will take you longer than someone who works in a shop.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 03-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.

8-10 hours does not appear unreasonable for a shop.
    Yes, $95 is steep, but that is a dealer rate (anywhere).
    It will be done right.

Always leads back to . . . . .

BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand

Never fails . . . . .

Thanks for all the extra info MJHKnow.

My main concern/fear with this project is the local supra dealer refused to do it. They won't install any 'non factory upgrades". So, I'm having the mastercraft dealer do it - and of course they have never done one. That makes me a bit nervous, I'm sure they will get it right but I can also imagine it might take them extra hours figuring everything out.

I do use this mastercraft dealer for most of my service without issue as they are 5 minutes away vs the hour the local supra dealer is.

I don't really feel up to trying to do this myself, I'm comfortable installing thru hulls but I don't feel like messing with tight spots, wiring, mounting pumps, etc - just seems like something I want some peace of mind by having a dealer do it, just wish I had someone doing it who has experience doing it before, especially since wakemakers doesn't really have an instruction process for it.

I think my local Supra dealer would say the same thing.

At least the MC place was worked on pumps, so installing them should not be an issue.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400