Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well I put a sparky tester on it and they all are getting spark. Had it in my mind that it wasn't sparking because of the plugs. Did a compression test and they are all right around 130 psi. I put new plugs in it. NKG Iridium plugs and it started right up and seems to be running better. Some of the plugs that I didn't think were firing appear to have some carbon on them now so maybe it is cleaning up. Could have been some air in the fuel line? I probably didn't run it more than 2 minutes total before it stopped. Ran it another couple minutes tonight.

Backfire yesterday messed up my muffler. Fiberglass muffler blew apart where one of the hoses from the manifold attaches. Kind of like a flange that was attached to the muffler. I epoxied it back in. Not sure if that will hold. But it seems to be holding now, meanwhile I will try to find a new muffler. So I didn't run it long without the muffler attached. Tomorrow that goes back on and I will pull it to the lake and try again.

I want to get an engine scanner so I can run some diagnostics on it. Anyone have or use a Mefi 5 scanner? Any suggestions on what I should get?
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I would almost guarantee that the map sensor is bad or has a bad connection. I had a bad one on my 260z and it ran really rich and backfired. There is a way to check the power supply to it but i forget what it is. If you can find out what vehicle the 8.1 was used in besides boats you can get one for way less than the marine application.
    Function before fashion!

Well I will google it and see what I can come up with.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    Lots of funny in this thread so far lol
    just want to clarify, i'm not laughing at your problem grogger, i'm laughing at cadunkles solution and wotons response. I can't offer much help here, hope you get it sorted out
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    just want to clarify, i'm not laughing at your problem grogger, i'm laughing at cadunkles solution and wotons response. I can't offer much help here, hope you get it sorted out
    Yep I knew what you meant.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Picked up a new Map sensor and it seems to be all cleared up. Took it to the lake to break it in. Quickly realized I hadn't put the plugs in the exhaust manifold riser plugs in. So ran it a few minutes, then headed back home and put them in. Tomorrow should be the day!
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Glad you got it figured out. You've had a busy season, but plenty left or at least that's what I keep telling myself as I only have about 2 hours on the Saltare this year. I have a long way to go to get up to my usual 75-100.

Well I did really hustle to get it back up and running. Surprised myself actually. But I am in charge of our Wake the World event here in Ohio this year and it is on the Eighth of August and I really need the boat for it. Wasn't sure if we would have enough room for all the kids. But I can hold a lot on my boat if I need to. So that gave me some inspiration. Plus I really missed it. I know this boat a lot better than I should now. But I feel good about the new engine. I know it doesn't have any salt damage. lol
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I wish I had that inspiration...I found one day to work on mine in last two months and it rained as soon as I pulled the tools out and then I screwed up a customer's system remote logging in so off to work I went. Hope WTW goes well and she runs better than ever forever. If anyone deserves a break, it is you. That reunion was tough on the boat but seeing how you take it all in stride, I have to say, you are a better man than me.