Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello all. NEWB here with 05 24SSV

Hello fellow Supra owners. Just picked up a 24SSV and wanted to join a forum to gain info and share my experiences.

I have a 2005 24SSV with 496HO 450HP. Has 530hrs on the hull and under 300 on the motor. So far enjoying it very much and fixing the little issues here and there to make even better. I live in the NW burbs of Chicago. I like to wakeboard and surf. I am a novice but hope to gain quickly now that I have a better tool to get there.

Thanks!

Welcome. You will find a lot of info here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone started at some point in time.
    Most of my friends from Chicago spend their lake time in WI or MI.

I spend most of my time on the Chain 'O' Lakes but also frequent Lake Geneva. I will go anywhere there is enough water to launch though. The Fox river also has a couple launches near me that my friends and I will go to for a quick run. Much less traffic so great boarding.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV - Indmar 8100/496HO
    - 1235 Prop
    - 1180 center bag and 950 rears
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo
    - RGB cup holders and drain light

Tow Mule - 2005 Escalade AWD 6.0

Any idea why the engine has been replaced?
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    Any idea why the engine has been replaced?
    Looks like I have your sister boat...Red with black accent.

1st owner did not winterize properly and cracked the block.

Since you seem to have same motor, what is your idle at? Mine is at 775ish. The spec manuals I have found for this engine call out 650. No idea why it is so high.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Mine idles a little higher also. I just installed a new 8.1 that was rebuilt by Indmar over the last week. I will let you know what it is idling at when I take it out tomorrow. What I have learned is that GM stopped producing that engine in 2010 because it didn't fit their green platform. The 496 uses some oil. So I will be sure to check it daily. And if I am out for a long time I will check it every couple hours.

I have the 1100 pound sacks in the rear and it really makes a great surf wake with them. But the boat lists so much I suspect that contributed to the damage my old engine sustained. So now I will over it fill it about a quart and I will closely monitor the oil pressure. I have a friend that is working on a low pressure buzzer for me. Not sure it is possible, but he is going to try.

I do love the boat and enjoy it a lot. Good luck with yours!
    Post some pics would like to see it.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I do not have oil pressure issues with mine. I have the stock ballast system (Not sure on totals for each bag but I think all together is just under 2k). I do have a 400lb surf bag but not plumbed in yet. I plan on making a suckgate soon so I do not need to load it down so much. Most of the water near me is pretty shallow so I prefer to not weigh it down so much. I have the fresh air exhaust or whatever it is called but I don't know if I want to keep it. I think it may rob some power.

Soon I will be selling my Roswell Tower speaker rack with Polk 6.5s and my light bar if you or anyone you know may be interested. The lights are illegal where I boat and I am going with a different tower speaker set-up.

Sorry you had issues with your motor. From what I hear these 496s are beasts. I have a 502 in my other boat and its rock solid even with nearly 500 hours and 19 years old.

Have you done any interior changes? Vinyl or carpet? Some of my vinyl has been replaced and some needs replacing. Carpet just needs some cleaning but I would love to do like Seadeck or something instead. I just replaced my sun deck hatch struts and did through bolts on the hinges. I am going through the whole boat and upgrading/fixing anything that is not right or great. Its a solid boat but not perfect and I am picky. Had the gel cleaned up below the rub rail this spring and made a night and day difference. I will do the same above the rail over the winter I think. Soon the sun deck vinyl needs to be done but its presentable for now. Depends on funds.

I have the one pic for now. Eventually I will get more up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Which burb are you in?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Which burb are you in?
    I am in Elgin.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Quote Originally Posted by BADS24SSV View Post
    I am in Elgin.
    Cary myself but the boats stay up on Fox Lake on Stanton Bay if you're familiar. Mine is currently at the boat doctor with a head scratcher but hoping to have it back soon and in the lift again. Shoot me a PM if you're ever up that way.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski