Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone put tower speakers on rear bar of tower?

I am upgrading my tower speakers and going with individual cans. The forward bar is smaller than the rear and the cans I bought second hand will only fit on the rear bar. But I am not sure how that will look. I like the idea of pushing the cans back further as currently when cranking up the radio you could go deaf if you sit in the back bench. But I am afraid it may look odd having the speakers sit so far back on the tower.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV - Indmar 8100/496HO
    - 1235 Prop
    - 1180 center bag and 950 rears
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo
    - RGB cup holders and drain light

Tow Mule - 2005 Escalade AWD 6.0

I did this to my old 24

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for! What speakers are those? I am going with 4 JL 7.7s.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Exile xm9s
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Just finished last weekend and am very happy with the results. I will try to get pics up this weekend.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Has anyone side-by-sided the XM9s vs. Rev 10s? Thoughts/opinions?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Has anyone side-by-sided the XM9s vs. Rev 10s? Thoughts/opinions?
    Yes. Lets start with the basics. The xm9 in an 8" speakers, so it would be more fair to compare it to the Wet Sounds Rev-which is also an 8" speaker. The larger 10" Rev-10 has a huge advantage due to its substantially greater surface area. A larger speaker naturally has more output (volume) due to that extra surface area, as well as it produces deeper mid-bass extension over a smaller speaker. The Rev-10 also has a larger pod displacement, which also helps in the mid-bass department. Larger voice voice equals more power handling. The horn flare has almost no parallel walls, the flare is continuous. The eliminates standing waves for a much smoother sound from the compression driver. The Rev-10 V2 also has some cool features. They now have a boot that bridges the gap between the mid-bass cone and the horn flare. Composite basket over stamped steel, Redesign on the compression driver and better motor venting for improved thermal power handling.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Also equipped with retro encabulators!

https://youtu.be/RXJKdh1KZ0w
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Issue with the REV series is they are horn loaded compression drivers. So you loose surface area because there is a hole in the middle of the woofer which also reduces lows and mids. I have heard that style speaker (primarily wet sounds) and they are indeed loud, but lack mids and lows. I traditional coax with full woofer to me sounds far better and fuller. Also, most that I have heard running wet sounds seem to have troubles tuning them or powering them properly. They always seem distorted at high volumes. This tells me they are over driving their system or not filtering out the lows to allow them to operate to their potential. Something to keep in mind as you shop. My JL 7.7s and my buddy's 8.8s to me sound way cleaner and fuller and stil are very loud and price comparatively as well. No I do not have stock in JL, I am just giving you my opinion based on first hand exposure to all these models.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

Issue with the REV series is they are horn loaded compression drivers. So you loose surface area because there is a hole in the middle of the woofer
    How is that different from the Xm9, to which the comparison is asked about? Both are pro-axial HLCD.

hole in the middle of the woofer which also reduces lows and mids.
    Since that hole is in the center of the cone, its the smallest part of the cone, so loss of surface area is minimal.

traditional coax with full woofer to me sounds far better and fuller.
    Sure they do. But its not due to the hole in the cone, its do to the aggressive compression horn thats likely twice as large as the typical tweeter and handle 10 times the power. In reality, The mid-bass extension and output of an 8" HLCD and an 8" coaxial both in the same volume pod, is going to be the same. The difference is the amount of treble from the compression driver compared to a tweeter. An HLCD is going to put out more, as its a purpose-built speaker designed for wake range projection. Now, the Rev-10 is in its own little world. They produce a ton of mid-bass, mid-bass that you can feel in your chest, and have incredible balance for an HLCD.

Also, most that I have heard running wet sounds seem to have troubles tuning them or powering them properly. They always seem distorted at high volumes.
    Dont hate the player, hate the game, LOL. Seriously, thats not a product of the speaker, so why lay blame there. Thats power amp wattage, cheap price point amps or poor tuning.

8.8s to me sound way cleaner and fuller and stil are very loud and price comparatively as well
    The 8.8 tower pods with clamps retails for $1175. The Wet Sounds Icon-8 with fixed universal clamps, which is what you need to compare to not the Rev sereis, retail for $750. Thats a $425 difference. That will get you the amp to drive the Icons and still be in the black. $1200 will get you Rev-10 with fixed clamps. Thats about 40% more surface area and 2X the power handling.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio