Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My experiences have taught me, good clean power is the essence to good sound quality. I have a pair of pro 80's and a jl hd600/4 amp powering them. Good clarity and good mid bass response. And also hang on the rear bar. I have an old Pro485 that I am repairing that will soon join them.
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    How is that different from the Xm9, to which the comparison is asked about? Both are pro-axial HLCD.

Since that hole is in the center of the cone, its the smallest part of the cone, so loss of surface area is minimal.

Sure they do. But its not due to the hole in the cone, its do to the aggressive compression horn thats likely twice as large as the typical tweeter and handle 10 times the power. In reality, The mid-bass extension and output of an 8" HLCD and an 8" coaxial both in the same volume pod, is going to be the same. The difference is the amount of treble from the compression driver compared to a tweeter. An HLCD is going to put out more, as its a purpose-built speaker designed for wake range projection. Now, the Rev-10 is in its own little world. They produce a ton of mid-bass, mid-bass that you can feel in your chest, and have incredible balance for an HLCD.

Dont hate the player, hate the game, LOL. Seriously, thats not a product of the speaker, so why lay blame there. Thats power amp wattage, cheap price point amps or poor tuning.

The 8.8 tower pods with clamps retails for $1175. The Wet Sounds Icon-8 with fixed universal clamps, which is what you need to compare to not the Rev sereis, retail for $750. Thats a $425 difference. That will get you the amp to drive the Icons and still be in the black. $1200 will get you Rev-10 with fixed clamps. Thats about 40% more surface area and 2X the power handling.
    First off, I do not claim to be an expert in audio...I only am commenting from what I have heard/seen in person. In fact, I would love to know more for future builds and I appreciate your post. I have never heard good mids/lows come from the revs in any size. Yes, this could be due to poor tuning/powering, but I have heard a lot of boats like this versus what I have heard from COAX types. And I only have experience with the JLs from COAX/Components for towers. The Icons I would need to hear. But my comments are more around HLCD to COAX or components and the performance differences from each along with the price comparison (again focusing on the WS to JL from my own personal experience). I am not knocking WS in any way. I heard one boat that was professionally done with all WS including 2 REV 8s and 4 REV 10s with two 12s inside the boat but I am not sure on the cabin speakers or the amps. The highs were very loud and clear and so was the bass (from the subs) but mids were lacking. So this tells me that either the REVs produce little to no mid/lows or the highs simply washes it all out. Perhaps removing the two REV8s and putting in the Icons would balance it out.

One other comment for discussion...I would think even with more surface area, you are less efficient with a whole in the woofer than not. That's probably the location for the highest air pressure on extension of the woofer...which means it is washing behind the cone rather than pushing it all forward like a solid cone.

Also, shopping around, you can get the 8.8s with the brackets for under $900. Yes, still more than the Icons, but I am not comparing to those.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV - Indmar 8100/496HO
    - 1235 Prop
    - 1180 center bag and 950 rears
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo
    - RGB cup holders and drain light

Tow Mule - 2005 Escalade AWD 6.0

Also, shopping around, you can get the 8.8s with the brackets for under $900. Yes, still more than the Icons, but I am not comparing to those.
    This statement implies that you cannot get a discount on the Wet Sounds, which you can. 2nd, comparing the smoothness of the soft dome tweeter 8.8 to the HLCD, is like dogging an F250 for its ride quality compared to a sedan deville. On the flip side, if you want a tow mule, you cant expect the ride of a Cadi on a truck meant for towing. Totally two different speaker types. The fair comparison would have to be the Wet Sounds Icon-8 or other 8" coaxial.

Are there differences between the two types that can be compared, sure. But only to the point of determining what the boat owners tower speaker goals are. if he wants wake range projection, then he goes down the HLCD highway. If he only cares for party cove and surf sound quality, then he needs to be on the coaxial path. if he wants the best of both worlds, then he's looking at the largest pair of HLCDs you can get, the Rev-10 or at least 2 pair of large coaxials and push them to their potential. Wotan ask for opinions on an 8" HLCD and a 10" HLCD. Sure an 8" coaxial is going to sound smoother than an HLCD, but its the wrong type of speaker to be comparing against the two Woten inquired about. However, if he had framed the question like which one between the Rev-10 or xm9 would be best for surfing sound quality, the answer would the Rev-10 as well as consider an 8" coaxial.

So this tells me that either the REVs produce little to no mid/lows or the highs simply washes it all out. Perhaps removing the two REV8s and putting in the Icons would balance it out.
    A little bit of equalization can tone down the compression driver. I can assure you, the 10" Rev-10 does and will produce deeper mid-bass and more mid-bass than the JL 8.8. In actuality, the 8.8 driver used on the tower pod, is the same infinite-baffle driver used for the in-boat 8.8. They do not have a "T" version as they do with the 7.7. So, placing the IB driver in a small tower pod, may actually have a negative effect on its mid-bass production.

One other comment for discussion...I would think even with more surface area, you are less efficient with a whole in the woofer than not. That's probably the location for the highest air pressure on extension of the woofer...which means it is washing behind the cone rather than pushing it all forward like a solid cone.
    You'll be happy to learn, that the latest revision to the Rev series, includes a dust booth that bridges the gap between the mid-bass cone and horn flare. Non-problem solved as that gap was minimal anyway.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I have not heard the REVs while boarding (That I would be interested in hearing at some point.), but I have heard the 7.7s and the 8.8s and both perform well even at the 70-80ft rope lengths.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo

At wake range with the boat at speed, there is no comparison to a pair of HLCD and a pair of coaxial. The difference is listening to the music rather than hearing the music. It takes 2 pair of coaxial powered to the limits, to do what a single pair of properly powered HLCD will do.

Now, if someones primary focus is near field listening, then yes, I would suggest a coaxial like the 7.7, 8.8, Wet Sounds Icon-8 or Kicker KM8 over an 8" HLCD like the Rev-8 or xm9. I would also suggest the Wet Sounds Rev-10. its the one exception to the rule. Even though its an HLCD, that extra mid-bass and depth, add balance to the compression driver. In my neck of the woods, I typically do about 10 Rev-10 for every one 8" coaxial setup. When people hear them side by side, they go with the larger speaker. And these are boaters that arent wake boarders. They surf or just party.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

WS is definately the dominant choice by me as well which is what drove my comments to begin with. One day I will get behind a boat with REV-10s.
    - 1235 Prop
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo