Thread: MAP sensor

Default MAP sensor

We are on a family boating vacation and of course the boat is acting up. 2008 20SSV. the boat runs fine until we surf. It usually sputters once, then the Service Required message comes on. The boat still runs, so we haven't had to be towed, but we have no display so can't do any watersports. Our mechanic lent us his Diacom which says it's a MAP sensor error. We have now purchased 3 sensors -one from OReillys auto, one from a marine shop and one directly from Indmar. None seem to be fixing the problem. Boat was fine again until we surfed last night. It ran great after surfing until this morning when the water was like glass and I talked hubby into taking me out for a 'board. Service Required again. I know we can clear the error by heating and cooling, but we would like to know what is causing it. Unfortunately, the trailer is in the shop getting bunks redone, so we can't even pull the boat out to get it inspected. Any ideas?

You have to understand what MAP sensor does to understand the issue , without load on the boat , it runs fine , but once you fill the ballast and put a load on the engine it's spits and sputters ..... Next time take some carb cleaner and spray around the intake manifold and around the sensor , does it change the state of engine ? Rev or bog ? ..... Absolute manifold pressure , you getting any backfire ? If so is it coming through the intake ? Most times a air leak would be the culprit , but it also could be injectors or if the intake is plastic molded . Could be a crack .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Thanks very much. That was the info we needed that the mechanics weren't willing to give up. I realize they want us to bring the boat in so they can make a few bucks, but without a trailer, we couldn't do that. Hubby took the top off the manifold and thinks the seal was bad so has replaced it. Hopefully that does it.

Only way to test is to spray it while running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

What lively said.
    Function before fashion!