Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1988 Saltare 454 engine problems

hey guys,

So I just spent a long weekend on the lake and had some issues I would like to figure out and fix. First, the boat starts and runs perfectly fine, without any starting problems, running problems or power. boat goes appx 42MPH at full throttle. Then when the boat is turned off and we float for a bit say 15minutes to 30minutes, the boat starts up perfectly fine, idles well but the power is almost non-existant. One thing I wonder is due to the fact that my blower (fan) has not been working well, and squeals very loudly, I don't always have it on very long before starting. I wonder if it has something to do with the cooling of the engine. My Thermostat appears to be working well, and i took off the water pump cap, and it is getting water fine. Would the issue that the blower isn't used enough be the problem? As long as the engine sits for a period of time it gets full power back, and As long as I don't shut it down, I can ride it without any issue.

The second problem is that I have alot of play in the steering wheel. What can I do to adjust/fix the play, and also the steering wheel has become very difficult to turn, is there a fitting I need to look at or something of that nature? Thanks for the help in advance.

Ben

The engine problem is a head scratcher but definitely not related to your blowers. Those only serve to remove gas vapor that may be sitting in the bilge and prevent explosion -- they have no effect on engine temperature or how an engine would run.

I'd say you're looking at a fueling problem related to vapor lock. Have you checked/changed your fuel filters? I'd start there.

The steering issue would be due to a worn helm and an old and sticky steering cable. SkiDim sells a kit with a new helm and cable -- it really makes your steering 1-finger smooth and easy.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

ok, I will definately purchase a new steering cable. As for the fuel filter, it has been changed, and is not a problem. It seems that as long as the engine cools off some then it runs fine. I have thought it might be the water pump impeller, and if so I am wondering where it is located and how easy it is to fix.

If your temps are good, your impeller and cooling system are functioning fine. It's a fuel issue in that the fuel boils out of the float bowls when hot. Are you using a mechanical fuel pump or electric?

I'm not sure, i"m guessing original but can't remember. Also what helm and cable should I purchase from Skidim? I don't see where I can put my make and model in to purchase the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by irishleacher View Post
    I'm not sure, i"m guessing original but can't remember. Also what helm and cable should I purchase from Skidim? I don't see where I can put my make and model in to purchase the right one.
    The Saltare uses the 18ft system.

http://www.skidim.com/ROTARY-SYSTEM-...FLROTECHKIT18/

The fuel pump that is currently on the engine is mechanical. Should I consider replacing it was an electrical one? If so which one should I purchase?

The fuel pump that is currently on the engine is mechanical. Should I consider replacing it was an electrical one? If so which one should I purchase?
    If the mechanical works I don't see any reason to replace it.

Then when the boat is turned off and we float for a bit say 15minutes to 30minutes, the boat starts up perfectly fine, idles well but the power is almost non-existant.
    Have you limped back to the dock or does it eventually cool off and run properly again?

Could it be a coil acting up?

Once the boat cools off, it usually starts performing normally. If the boat is constantly running I don't thing it has a problem. Its usually after pulling people skiing for a while, then shutting it down to switch riders and life vests/ ropes etc. for 10mintues-1hr, and then the boat starts fine, and will bog down at 1/2-full throttle.