Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just wondering if anyone has any advice to stop my problem of my boat losing power after pulling people for a while. Should I change the fuel line's to a bigger diameter? could my fuel pump be going bad, and should I get a new one? should I do anything with my carb? I live in PA, so I won't be out on the water until about May, but would like to get the boat fixed before the season.

I agree that it sounds like a fuel delivery problems after it's hot - sometimes called vapor lock. Since it runs fine until you let it sit I don't think the fuel pump is the issue. The mechanical pump shouldn't be affected by heat soak. You could try wrapping the fuel line from the pump to the carb in some heat tape and then run your blower, or lift the doghouse when you stop to keep the heat from building up and boiling off the fuel in the line. Easy things to do and see if it affects it at all.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Can you elaborate on "no power". Does it just not rev up under load when it's acting up but runs smooth, you don't don't get normal RPM? Does it misfire at all?

I would be looking at fuel supply issues first. Change the filter, check screen at carb inlet (if present) for clogs. Check output of fuel pump, replace if in doubt. I would not use an electric pump. Check for low fuel in carb bowls when this happens. What carb are you running? It could also be vapor lock. I had hard starting issues when hot until I got a phenolic carb spacer. It's thin, maybe 1/2" but it was enough to not heat soak the carb.

Regarding teh steering. Yours is probably due for new everything as most 30 year old boats are. I finally did mine last year, new rudder, cable, and helm. It's so much easier to steer and slop is eliminated... Well aside from a small amount from the block I didn't replace, but I expect when I replace that it'll be as tight as a new boat. Have a look at my thread here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...er-replacement

As far as the "no power", basically It bogs down completely, and will not get up to speed at all, as if it does not get enough fuel. The weird thing is, If it starts up fresh, I can probably keep it at full power all day long as long as I don't stop the boat, shut it down and let it sit. I have not yet tried this, but I did ride it at full throttle my last trip on the water for about 1/2 and did not lose any power at all, and it was running great. It does start right up the first time every time. I have changed the fuel filter many many times, due to the fact that I thought it was clogging, but I have emptied the gas tank now so I don't worry about that being the problem. The carburetor I'm sure can get tuned up. I have also thought about replacing the impeller in the water pump. The only thing that I can definitely say is different when it was acting up is that I was boating where the water temp was easily in the 80degrees. Which was not common before, but I took it to Lake Norman in August. The other thing that could cause a problem, is my exhaust blower is shot, which started acting up late in the season, and I also had a couple cracks beside the engine housing, which I insulated so I didn't have to hear the noise from the engine running. I am going to get everything for the steering, and fix that for sure.

So, it runs fine at WOT but anything less than that it bogs down and hesitates? Is it possibly that your fuel/air ratio is off below full throttle because the secondaries are opening up? I had a problem where my boat would only run at WOT and anything less it bogged down and died.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski