Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interior Space & Wake Differences between 07+ 22 SSV and 06+ 24 SSV

Hello,

I have been looking to purchase a used boat and after researching the various makes & models have decided that a Supra boat seems to be the best fit for what I am looking for. I have been looking into the 07+ 22 SSV as well as a 24 SSV and would like to hear from owners as to the main differences between the two and if the extra size of the 24 is worth the difference in trailering & handling. Finding a 24 nearby to go look at seems to be a challenge plus it seems many on here have had both and would be curious to hear your opinions.

A typical day of use would be for primarily wakeboarding but would also like to surf and comfortably accomodate 6-7 people.

My basis for comparison would be an 07 22' vs an 06 24' as this is the first year of the deeper 22' and the year the Z-5 was added to the 24'. These seem to be somewhat comparable in price so would one be greatly preferred over the other? Would an 07 24' be enough of an improvement with the dash/trim tab changes to justify going with one?

So much of this is going to come down to personal preference but I really think you need to head to a dealer. Although comparing a new 24 to a new 22 isn't the same as an 06 vs. 07, the new boats will still give you an idea of the relative size. You'll be amazed at how much bigger the 24 feels.

The only reason (in my mind) to not buy a 24 is if you have garage space limitations or if you trailer a long way.

I only trailer 1 mile and the bigger boats always surf better. Because of that, I wouldn't even consider a smaller boat.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I own 2004 22ssv and love my boat. Plenty of room to comfortably sit 7 or 8. Doesn't feel crowded until you get 9 or 10. I have been in both and it's definitely a personal preference. With my typical 5-7 person crowd I prefer the 22 hands down. Better fuel economy, more nimble, much easier to sink the boat deep with passengers and loaded ballast bags to achieve bigger wake.

I plan to try looking at both boats this weekend to get a feel of the relative sizes but don't think I could get them both on a lake to really get a feel for how they perform. The better surfing is one of the reasons I had been looking real hard at the 24s.

The boat would be trailered an hour away fairly frequently which would certainly favor the 22' but I could find somewhere to store it closer to a lake if it became an issue.

Motor would be a big topic.

Many of the 22s came with the 325 motor. Works great in my boat for surfing and boarding. Once you start to get over 6-7 adult people, it starts getting cramped on the inside. My interior has the built in cooler in the seat.

Many of the 24s came with the 340 motor. I have only been on the 24s with the bigger 496 motor. It does feel bigger on the inside. That bigger motor has a lot of torque. I'm sure the 340 does fine. I assume once your start to load up 7-10 people, you would feel it struggling to get on plane.

Big boat with big motor - why not?

Inside my 22:
    Supra Inside Rev.jpg

22 and 24 - does not give you in the inside look:
    22 and 24 boats.jpg
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 08-16-2016 at 08:26 PM.

The motors are something I was also looking for feedback on. For the 22 I would plan on getting a 340 which does not seem to be too difficult to find. For the 24 it is tough to find one with a 496 which I agree is probably the better motor for the larger boat. I think the 496 would burn a bit more fuel than the 340 but would likely go longer without a rebuild since it would be less stressed.

The 340 in my 24 has no issue planing the boat in any circumstance. My 24 is less nimble than my buddies LSV but inboards aren't exactly gems at slow speed maneuvers. Fuel economy is relative to loaded weight as the ultimate planning surfaces are near equal 22 or 24. I burn right at 8 gph surfing with 2150lbs of ballast and a wake shaper.

The hull shape and below the water line transom are different and from personal review I found I couldn't put aftermarket surf tabs on my 24 whereas most can a 22.

In 2009 either model 22 or 24 moved from sprinkler valves to a full Jabsco 3 pump system.
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

A 340 would be nice in 22', but I do not think you would see that much of difference from the 325.
    There are some threads on here that compare the 340 vs 325.

The beam is wider in a 24' by a few inches.
    The weight is probably a few hundred pounds more, 22 vs 24, around 4K for just the boat.
    I've also heard the same thing in the 340 in the 24 with a group of people on the boat , but have not been on one.

My main reason for a 340 in a 22' is for the cat system which cuts dow on emissions and should offer a marginal efficiency improvement with the extra 02 sensors. Good to know that the 340 is enough for the 24'. I'm like the added space of the 24 but don't think I would be taking advantage of it frequently which makes the 22 more appealing to me.

I have found an 09 22 that looks good but needs upholstery work on the back bench and seat behind the driver which has turned me off from it.

I went with the 24 for space. Both storage and people. The one comment I have is it takes a lot a weight to make a difference in the wake especially surfing. I also went with the largest, most powerful motor so I can board with 10 people and bags full on the boat without issues. The down side is fuel economy. But with the added power I can run a larger prop so when I am cruising around I can get better FE than a lower powered boat with a small prop who is winding out the motor. Not to mention lower RPM on engine per hour of operation which means less wear and tear.

A smaller boat will for sure net better FE and make a larger difference in wake with less weight.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV - Indmar 8100/496HO
    - 1235 Prop
    - 1180 center bag and 950 rears
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo
    - RGB cup holders and drain light

Tow Mule - 2005 Escalade AWD 6.0