Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to boats all together...need advice

So. Today I bought a 07supra launch 21v no motor or trans... And the trailer is rusted out. Rest of the boat is clean, and I got it for a deal. My question is beside the factory indmar what else can I put in this..or where can I find that info. I'm currently looking at a 351 Windsor pretty cheap, with a velvet drive trans. Will this work, Will it fit? How can I determine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The Windsor may prove a bit anemic for that hull. What are you planning to use it for? Wake boarding? I'd review the stock power plants, and try to get something a little closer to that.

When you do get it all together, find a friend who knows boats and take him with you on your first outing(s). We can write advice all day long, but it's best to have an experienced boater with you. Lots of little details that are second nature to most of us, but a novice might not think about. I've been around boats all my life and I'm still learning.

Isnt that a Vdrive.

V drive yes. Maily tubing wakeboarding and surfing

You will also need a V-Drive to go with that engine and transmission.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Well I found a 01 supra legacy. That would get me a more similar power plant. Then I would just need a v drive. I think I can get this legacy for a decent price.

Why are you looking to go outside of what the factory put in there - like a 325?

Price?

Are you keeping it or reselling it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I plan on keeping it. Like I said I got this boat for a deal. Yes, price is a big factor, only considering I need the motor, v drive, and trans.

I guess if you are keeping it you can do whatever you want -- but I'd never put a carb'd engine in a modern v-drive. If I were you, I'd build a marine LS. You can find a cheap junkyard pull, install a marine cam and all of the marine accessories and get into it pretty cheap. There's also TONS of after market electronics/parts/accessories/etc. I'm not sure where you'd find a trans and v-drive but the LS should be easy to mate up to whatever you find.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I guess if you are keeping it you can do whatever you want -- but I'd never put a carb'd engine in a modern v-drive. If I were you, I'd build a marine LS. You can find a cheap junkyard pull, install a marine cam and all of the marine accessories and get into it pretty cheap. There's also TONS of after market electronics/parts/accessories/etc. I'm not sure where you'd find a trans and v-drive but the LS should be easy to mate up to whatever you find.
    I agree. That probably came with a fuel injected small block. Build one or buy one put together and get a warranty (but I'm guessing you can build one if you purchased a project like this.
    http://www.barrmarine.net/

Here is transmission on CL in the Knoxville area. I've never seen one of these listed on CL. I did not read all the details on it.
    http://knoxville.craigslist.org/bpo/5711739325.html