Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel Injection ??

Anybody thought about doing or have done a Fuel Injection upgrade to there boat?

I'm looking at doing this one on my Allegro.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550...FVFsfgodlhQK2Q
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

That's really cool - I didn't know they had a package that was that inexpensive!

But.... it's not going to get you many gains over your carb. Do you have a problem that you're trying to solve or is this just a why-not-upgrade?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

How does this work? I would guess it needs a o2 sensor, tps sensor, etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wotan2525, it's a why not upgrade. I figure I'm gonna get better fuel hours out of it too. Plus should relieve me of my load up on long idles and no wake areas. I was planning on upgrading the manifold and carb this winter anyways, and the fuel injection is little cheaper.

4nryde, is a full plug and play system. Install it, give it power, ground, spark from coil, and one other I can't remember, then go run it. It teaches it self from your dining.
    Last edited by SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE; 08-23-2016 at 10:47 PM.
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

Quote Originally Posted by SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE View Post
    Wotan2525, it's a why not upgrade. I'm gonna figure I'm gonna get better fuel hours out of it too. Plus should relieve me of my load up on long idles and no wake areas. I was planning on upgrading the manifold and carb this winter anyways, and the fuel injection is little cheaper.

4nryde, is a full plug and play system. Install it, give it power, ground, spark from coil, and one other I can't remember, then go run it. It shelf teaches it shelf from your dining.
    The only rub on these systems is always the O2 sensor. It's not quite as easy to add one to a wet exhaust as it is to a traditional car exhaust.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

4nryde, is a full plug and play system. Install it, give it power, ground, spark from coil, and one other I can't remember, then go run it. It shelf teaches it shelf from your dining.
    Fuel. That's the one haha.

On a serious note, this is a TBI system, yes?

I've done a bunch of FI work with cars: aftermarket Haltech on a modern car (Scion FR-S), self-built megasquirt on a boosted miata, AEM on a honda (origonally carb) Honda CBR600 engine in a tubeframe road-race car...

That's got a Bosch 409 Wideband O2 Sensor. No-deal on marine applications. A wideband O2 sensor is the heart and soul of any of the "auto tuning" aftermarket fuel injection systems.

This accessory was developed for mercruiser I/Os to keep an O2 sensor dry in wet exhaust, but I;ve got no experience with it.
    http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...or-marine-use/

Here is some more reading from Holley:
    http://www.holleyinjection.com/holle...engines-to-efi
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

I'm not sold on them. My buddy had zero issues with his carb then he did fi. Ran without issues till we went on the Rubicon and I had to tow him out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have researched/considered this several times. Each time I end up with the same conclusion. For the money invested its not worth the hassle. Carbs are simple and easily rebuildable at home. A properly setup carb runs great and produces good power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody thought about doing or have done a Fuel Injection upgrade to there boat?

I'm looking at doing this one on my Allegro.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550...FVFsfgodlhQK2Q
    It's not an upgrade, just a change. TBI is junk, a glorified expensive carb, if you're going to change at least do MPI. Either way the biggest challenge just getting it to work is keeping the I2 sensor dry. Look at manifolds on newer engines and see if they'll fit. You'll likely be in it for well over a grand for manifolds or headers that will bolt on and keep the sensor dry, and width may be an issue so consider the pain of widening the doghouse. All to get the same thing a carb does.

I say fix your carb problem with loading up at idle. Could be high float level, damaged idle mixture needles or metering blocks, dirty passages or air bleeds, or any number of things. Rebuild the carb and start tuning from scratch, you'll have it fixed for $50 and a little time.