Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What about closed cooling ? Could that O2 stay dry ? I haven't seen closed cooling on Windsors , but I'm sure they have them .

My question is there a closed loop O2 for MPI ? Just a basic map for basic engine rpm ect ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    What about closed cooling ? Could that O2 stay dry ? I haven't seen closed cooling on Windsors , but I'm sure they have them .

My question is there a closed loop O2 for MPI ? Just a basic map for basic engine rpm ect ?

Closed cooling has nothing to do with the O2 sensor. In closed cooling the manifolds can be part of the closed part but the risers are not. This has no bearing on the sensor as typically you place it in the riser to get an average of one bank instead of tuning all cylinders mixture to the needs of just one. To run an I2 you need a riser that can accommodate one, some have modified factory parts to work, and you'll likely need to extend the point where exhaust and water meet. Reversion will wet an O2 sensor before it will kill an engine.

If you really want to go down this rabbit hole why not just buy either a factory EFI engine and bolt in or buy the EFI parts from someone converting a newer Mercruiser BBC to carb? EFI to carb is a common swap, gotta be parts out there.

I love to see everyone's thought on this. My feeling it is a upgrade for the engine. I just feel that Carbs are out dated, and with the technology out there today even the basic TBI is better than a Carb. The kit that I showed is super easy to install and doesn't require the 02 sensor that some do. Looks to me a very easy Plug and Play system. Just my 2 cents.
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

Quote Originally Posted by SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE View Post
    I love to see everyone's thought on this. My feeling it is a upgrade for the engine. I just feel that Carbs are out dated, and with the technology out there today even the basic TBI is better than a Carb. The kit that I showed is super easy to install and doesn't require the 02 sensor that some do. Looks to me a very easy Plug and Play system. Just my 2 cents.
    You may feel it's an upgrade but the fact is it is fundamentally just a change. Perhaps an upgrade over a worn out and dirty 600 CFM 4160 but not over a 4150, just different. TBI does not and can not meter, mix, or distribute fuel any better than a carb. This is a limitation of whatever intake you are using.

The Holley Sniper system you linked requires an O2 sensor. Some systems can run without an O2 sensor but they are not "plug and play" in that you will be spending quite a bit of time tuning your maps, and without an O2 sensor you'll be doing a bunch of plug chops. I suspect it may require a temp sensor as well. You'll want to research if running a lower temp like in our boats is a problem. If you only operate in fresh water you can safely go to a >145* thermostat without significant additional buildup in the cooling passages.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    You may feel it's an upgrade but the fact is it is fundamentally just a change. Perhaps an upgrade over a worn out and dirty 600 CFM 4160 but not over a 4150, just different. TBI does not and can not meter, mix, or distribute fuel any better than a carb. This is a limitation of whatever intake you are using.

The Holley Sniper system you linked requires an O2 sensor. Some systems can run without an O2 sensor but they are not "plug and play" in that you will be spending quite a bit of time tuning your maps, and without an O2 sensor you'll be doing a bunch of plug chops. I suspect it may require a temp sensor as well. You'll want to research if running a lower temp like in our boats is a problem. If you only operate in fresh water you can safely go to a >145* thermostat without significant additional buildup in the cooling passages.
    What temp tstat would be good to stay at ? Cadunkle ? Also I'm needing some insight on my engine build when you can shoot over to my thread . "Sorry to high jack "

LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQJPZYSoUI

Fuel injection is great for turbos and such but not really needed for a old v8

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    What temp tstat would be good to stay at ? Cadunkle ? Also I'm needing some insight on my engine build when you can shoot over to my thread . "Sorry to high jack "

If running in salt or brackish, 140-145. Somewhere between 145 and 160 salt will crystallize, coating all coolant passages with salt crystals which reduced flow and acts as an insulator between the hot block and heads and the coolant.

In fresh water 160-170 will result in less cylinder wall wear and theoretically a more efficient running engine. 180+ is pushing it in my opinion if you have raw water cooling as there is potential to boil the water under some conditions such as running it hard then coming to idle. Everything is very hot and suddenly coolant flow drops, potentially boiling.