Question Best Exhaust Muffler System to add?

Hi guys. I'm a 2 week new owner of a 1987 Supra TS6m Comp, first boat ever so totally stoked! My question is this: the guys I bought this boat from took the super trapp exhaust covers or flappers off. I am left with 4" threaded rods sticking out the bottom of the stern and need to figure out the best options for exhaust/sound management. I like a deep, throaty V8 sound so I'm really not looking to quiet the snarl of the PCM 351 Ford Windsor, however, I am most concerned with not allowing forced water back into the exhaust tubes to hydrolock the boat. I like the look of stainless steel down turned tips with baffles like I've found on bakesonline.com or even some extended straight SS tips with baffles. Question: I don't know what to do with the 4" threaded rods projecting from the boat and am wondering if I can just get some inexpensive flappers on there for the last 6 weeks of the season until upgrading to SS tips in the Spring? Moreover, what is the best for A) Protecting the boat from taking on water to the cylinders (flappers or baffles), B) what is the difference in sound between flappers and stainless steel tips with baffles? Appreciate any insight to these quandaries.

"Be Well, and Have a Supra Day!"

Dr. K

I have had the same problem. My caps and rings are somewhere at the bottom of the lake...
    I have searched everywhere but could not find the original chromed Super Trapp caps.
    I replaced them with stainless steel welding caps. Drilled a hole, polished them and installed them with a new set of rings. 9 or 12 on each side. Depends on how many good thread you have on the rods.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    1987 Supra Comp Ts6m
    Netherlands

Thanks for the input and pics, that helps. Very nice diy job by the way! They look stock!

You can buy the rings at any Super Trapp dealer. They are 5 inch diameter. I had to buy them for almost $90 but they are probably much cheaper in the US. The welding caps are 4.5 inch diameter and 3/4 inch high and will cost a few bucks. Any metal supplier can deliver them. They are normally used to
    All together you will be ready for less than $100,-
    I can ensure you that there will be enough noise to enjoy.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    1987 Supra Comp Ts6m
    Netherlands