Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you're new to carbs, (even if you're not) this is a great place to start http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

You can learn an awful lot about your tuning with nothing but a vacuum gauge and and tachometer. I too set my timing by feel (used the vacuum gauge) at idle and it was too far advanced. I think I'm at 9* now and the boat gained about 3mph top end. I had to up the curb idle to get it to idle nicely but it does. Based on the fact that it will idle nicer with a more advanced timing it sounds like the weights in your distributor may be sticking.

Second that on the mechanical advance , clean the springs and pivots with contact cleaner and throw some lithium grease on the pivots . You can also rebuild them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Thanks for the responses fellas. We ended up going through the throttle linkage and snugging it up /adjusting and throwing on a new cap and rotor. Seems to have solved the issue. I will replace the distributor over the winter here, as I should be pulling the motor and trans this week. Am I going to have to pull the prop and shaft out to lift the trans out with the engine? It looked that way to me. I am really not looking forward to tearing this boat apart, but I better start chipping away at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more item that usually goes overlooked is the PCV valve. While running the engine @ low RPMs under load they get worked really hard. Usually cost under 10 bucks.Could be an cheap easy fix .