Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Sunsport

Default 1989 Sunsport

Been reading through these threads a bit and finally got one. Just picked up a 1989 Sunsport and got some questions about it. Going to be using it for wake boarding and surfing mostly. I'm very happy with it the few times I've takin it out. I'm aware of the stringers pretty commonly rotting in these and plan on redoing them someday, not today though..First thing I need to do is trace some electrical because it starts fine cold but then I can't shut it down for the day or it won't go again, sounds like it barely won't fully turn over.
    I was told it has a different deck on it to not interfere with the wake but I need to reinforce those braces and am wondering the easiest way to get to them?
    The previous owner didn't take the greatest care of it, needs a few gel coat repairs and am wondering if anyone's just redone the whole gel coat and about what that would cost? With a paint job maybe? Or if it would be better to just do the 5-10 repairs individually?
    Seats need some love too but they can wait till the seasons over.
    I'm in SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Rcweltz; 08-31-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Been trying to add pics but the page keeps coming up blank
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Start with cleaning all the battery connections from bat terminals to solenoid ,starter and grounds

I pulled off all the connections from the battery, to the solenoid, and to the starter and cleaned them up(sanded them and put di-electric on them). Then got my starter tested and it's fine. Took it out and have the same problem. Starts up just fine cold but after it gets up to temperature it'll do like a half of a crank then just click for a bit and maybe give me another half crank. Any thoughts what to check next? Could it be something getting wet that isn't suppose to? The guy that tested it said the starter could have an issue when it gets warm but they can't check for that, so how would I know forsure if that's the problem? Thanks for the help
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Rcweltz View Post
    The guy that tested it said the starter could have an issue when it gets warm but they can't check for that, so how would I know forsure if that's the problem? Thanks for the help
    Use a screwdriver to short the two posts on the starter when the issue is happening. It it spins normal, you have a battery or wiring issue. If it spins slow, I'd guess it's the starter itself overheating. You can also try to cool it with a wet rag when it's having issues to see if that alleviates the problem.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Re: your swim deck brackets, depending on the extent of reinforcement you are after it may require gas tank removal. If you remove your ski locker liner, you will be able to see the bracket bolts and reinforcements behind the gas tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Tranny started slipping last weekend so probably just gonna be done for the winter and get to work on everything.
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    If I can find the space I'd love to check out/ repair the stringers myself. Was the original floor glassed in? Might sound like a stupid question but the info I originally got on the boat was really limited (I.e. Boat being an 85' not a 89' lol same thing at this point right?) and am curious if a PO has already been in there because of the ballast setup and the rub rail looking fairly new. Hopefully the pictures work, if anyone knows any good shops or members in the SF Bay Area or Sacramento that would be awesome to point me in their direction!
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Post a pic of the engine from a few angles. I might have an answer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had some free time in a while. I'll get the pics of the engine bay when I get out there again. New question though. So I'm going to be rebuilding my transmission and have a few transmission questions. I've done some research already but would like to double check some things because I've found different answers.
    Tranny is a Burg Warner 1:1 71c model 10-17-004

Do I need to buy anything else besides the gaskets kit and clutch plates from skidim?

I don't wanna be taking it out again anytime soon so anything else I should replace while I have it out?

And then as far as removing it, should I take it out with the bell housing or just the transmission?

Where do I disconnect it from the mounts? Take out the stringer bolts or is there another way because I don't want this to lead to an early stringer repair.

And last how do I move the shaft back to give me room to work?

Thanks, gonna be my first time working on a tranny but usually I'm pretty good with disassembling and reassembling things so hopefully all goes well! ����
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

IMG_1644.jpgIMG_1645.jpgIMG_1642.jpgIMG_1643.jpg

Hopefully these might help? Also if anything dosent look right please let me know! I'm not an engine person
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500