Default Catalytic Converter bad?

Well fellow forum members, a few days in on my 16 SA550 and we have an issue. Engine started bogging down at 3000RPM and then would rev back and forth between 2500-3000 but never above. Got the attached error message (eventually) and took the boat into local dealer. Turns out the catalytic converter is shot and some localized heat damage to some hoses (melted holes). They're doing more diagnosis, working with Supra and Indmar on root cause. Looks like I am out of commission for a bit :-/. 120 hours on the boat. It was used for training and the Local DFW area Pro Wake Tour. I'll keep you all in the loop on the prognosis.

Anyone else had issues with the cat on newer Supras or Moomba's?

image.jpg
    Last edited by jfintexas; 09-01-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typos
    Jamie Frost
    North Texas
    2016 SUPRA SA550 Edition
    2004 Centurion Enzo SV230 (Gone)

I honestly think it's messed up to have catalyst on a recreational vehicle. They do not operate anywhere near the same as a vehicle. Just the EPA's way of generating more revenue. I deal with emissions on a daily basis. The catalyst has no moving parts, and operates strictly off of engine performance. I'm curious as to what contaminated or destroyed yours with such low hours.
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Nauti View Post
    I honestly think it's messed up to have catalyst on a recreational vehicle. They do not operate anywhere near the same as a vehicle. Just the EPA's way of generating more revenue. I deal with emissions on a daily basis. The catalyst has no moving parts, and operates strictly off of engine performance. I'm curious as to what contaminated or destroyed yours with such low hours.
    We will find out soon enough. It is replaced and the boat runs great again. The bad one is on its way back to SC for further examination. I will continue to push for root cause because I would like some peace of mind I will not be dealing with it again in the future.
    Jamie Frost
    North Texas
    2016 SUPRA SA550 Edition
    2004 Centurion Enzo SV230 (Gone)