Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringer repair

Default Stringer repair

Here goes, I've got an 86 pirata with 497 hours needs stringers replaced just talked to Sextons marine in Tennessee rough quote of 4 grand for cap off replacement, that's with me pulling interior and motor, I'm thinking not to bad of a cost since I can't find anyone in Illinois to do this job, any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by pirata86 View Post
    Here goes, I've got an 86 pirata with 497 hours needs stringers replaced just talked to Sextons marine in Tennessee rough quote of 4 grand for cap off replacement, that's with me pulling interior and motor, I'm thinking not to bad of a cost since I can't find anyone in Illinois to do this job, any thoughts
    Tell them you need frequent visits to check progress and full set of pictures from start to finish. There is a huge difference between what some call a complete stringer replacement and a job done correctly. How long will they warranty their work? If done correctly it should last 20 years plus.

Much appreciated, they have had some good reviews on here in past posts I'm still not above shopping around I would like to here some other options

Give Donny Bennett at Bennett's Boat Repair in Maryville, TN a call. He did mine a few years ago and was excellent to work with. I paid around 5k for mine, but he did all the demo. There are numerous threads referencing him on this forum.

Tried calling Bennetts the number is no longer in service if you have an updated I would appreciate it thanks

Donny is now retired talked with the manufacturer and they are in the process of trying to find a new person to do their stringer repairs

Donny's retired??? Donny wasn't old enough to retire in my opinion. When he did my stringers in 2011 I visited the shop. The shop wasn't much to write home about but the quality of his work and reputation is top tier.
    He was either much older than I estimated or very wise in his investment strategies.

Supra Sunsport - Bennett's Boat Repair 9 - 12.6.11.jpg
    Supra Sunsport - Bennett's Boat Repair 8 - 12.6.11.jpg

Health issues for Donny.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I did talk to premier water sports a supra dealer in Tennessee, they put me in touch with the man who does their stringer repair, seems to be an up and up man offering a twenty year warranty on parts and labor, photo's along the way of the rebuild and I'm welcome to visit whenever I like also willing to give me customers names and numbers of people who have had him do repairs on their boats. More than likely going to go with him, when it's all said and done I will put my own review on this site

Boat Doctors just south of Nashville TN. BoatDoctors.net. Guy is very informative about Supras and used to do alot of their warranty work back in the 80's and 90's as they were built in TN. He knows them inside and out.