Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Supra comp 89 lost

Just dropped $2,000 at the supra dealer to finally fix my boat so it would stop leaving me hanging. Replaced everything electrical. You name it. It new. They rebuilt the carb. It runs until it get warm and then under load misses BADLY anybody have any ideas before I go raise hell at the supra dealer???

Timing and distributor?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You spent 2k for 6 wires ? Buddie slow down ... this is a common engine , 351w or 454 ?

Let's get to basics , why did you take it to the dealer first what was the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    You spent 2k for 6 wires ? Buddie slow down ... this is a common engine , 351w or 454 ?

Let's get to basics , why did you take it to the dealer first what was the problem
    The Comp/Conbrio never had a big block option for the engine so it should be a 351W like every other low freeboard Supra out there.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Does it run well at idle in neutral and in gear when warm? Does it run well at all speeds and load before up to temp?

I'll second the timing, distributor and add coil as a possibility. Check base timing and make sure it's advancing. Check plugs and gap. Points or electronic pickup? If points check/clean/regap, and reset timing. If electronic, what type of pickup or distributor are you using? Voltage and coil and pickup? Ballast resistor present if required by your coil? If EI, power to that is typically not through the ballast resistor or funky ignition problems ensue.

They took you.
    I'd go in there with your ski
    mask s d demand at least $1250 back...

A few weeks ago he had some more information in a thread about a run issue:

Quote Originally Posted by khyland View Post
    My 1989 supra comp left me stranded again in the middle of the lake. I have put new starter, points, condenser, rotor, cap, battery, coil. I have started it out of the water and let it warm up. Shut it off and it cracks right off every time. I put it in the water and it won't start. The more it runs, the worse it gets. It was even cutting out a few times today. I also have it timed too.
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?18463

So, we definitely need to know what all the dealer did in order to make some educated guesses as to where to go next. Scan the invoice, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    So, we definitely need to know what all the dealer did in order to make some educated guesses as to where to go next. Scan the invoice, even better.
    I bet the dealer took money, did nothing except laugh all the way to the bank.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

It was the electronic system in that year.
    My 91 did the same thing g to me. Yours have that large pack on the back of the engine above the exhaust ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I bet the dealer took money, did nothing except laugh all the way to the bank.
    If that's the case, they won't be in business long. There are always two sides to a story... and admittedly there are some bad shops too.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarlydude View Post
    It was the electronic system in that year.
    My 91 did the same thing g to me. Yours have that large pack on the back of the engine above the exhaust ?

I don't think the Pro-Tec system was around in '89 (is that the system you had?) In any case, he mentioned changing points, condenser, cap, rotor... no points on a Pro-Tec