Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Default Oil change

Bought a 2012 Sunsport 22V this year. Had an older inboard for a number of years and always did my own service but wanted to take it to the dealer to have it winterized and get the oil changed just so I didn't screw something up. Winterize engine is $180, winterize ballast is $75, oil change is $225!! Guy said it is so much because it uses a "special oil". Just looked at the Indmar website and it says to use Penzoil Marine 15W40, which is only $25/gallon. Why on earth would it cost $225 for an oil change? Filter can't cost much. Is it a bitch to get to or something?

Think I might just do it myself afterall. I use synthetic in all my other stuff. Anyone have a synthetic they would recommend?

Thanks
    Craig

Try the search on oil or oil change. There are threads out there for that topic. You will find some different opinions.

There is both older and newer motors out there.

On my 07, the remote filter is easy to get to. There is a drain and line on the bottom of the oil pan to remove the old oil.

Pretty easy process:
    1) Get the motor hot
    2) Remove the oil. Most people use some type of pump to get the old stuff out.
    3) Remove filter. I place a bag under the filter in case of any spillage. Make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter.
    4) Add new filter and oil.
    5) I run my motor and top-off if needed.

Syn Oil - not for me. Been using Shell Rotella 15w40 every 50 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

It takes a long time because it takes forever to drain.

Don't like the price, do it yourself...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Buy a $50 hand pump oil sucker and it takes all of 15 minutes to do an oilchange. No special oil, shell rotella like above and a 7-15$ filter. Not rocket science
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    Buy a $50 hand pump oil sucker and it takes all of 15 minutes to do an oilchange. No special oil, shell rotella like above and a 7-15$ filter. Not rocket science
    So... go do it yourself then

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is your end of the year service special. Sounds to me like you need a new dealer.

Thanks for the responses. I have an oil evacuator. Been doing my own winterizing, oil changes and all on my old inboard for years but a little leery of missing something on the new boat with all the pumps and bags and all so thought it would be a good idea to take it to the dealer this time but am stunned that a basic oil change is $225. Thought there had to be something special about it to justify that charge but it doesn't seem so. Is there a drain on the bottom of the engine or will the evacuator take out most of the oil without going to the trouble? Manual says to use a QuickDrain hose but I can't seem to find what that is anywhere.

Look for the quick drain oil drain hose to be clipped to one of the engine lift rings. The clip is a shower curtain hook. Should be easy to find.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    Look for the quick drain oil drain hose to be clipped to one of the engine lift rings. The clip is a shower curtain hook. Should be easy to find.
    Dealer is good for peace of mind, but not for $225, ouch.

Yep, the shower curtain hook is usually hooked on the the front of the motor.
    Two wrenches needed, one to hold the line, one to unscrew the brass cap.
    Mine fits through the transom plug. I made a battery pump with hoses to attach to the end-fitting. Pump drains it fast.

When I did not have the pump, the hot motor made the oil flow, but it was slow. A cold motor will take a lot longer - never tried that.
    You will need another section of hose (like you can buy at Lowes or HomeDep) to attach to the end of the oil line, into a bucket onto the ground.

Takes 20 mins for oil change, 60 mins to drain block,muffler,jpipe,heater,vdrive,strainer,and capture the water in my shopvac. Then 20 mins to suck up a few gallons from post vdrive pipe, recapture from block drain plugs and reinstal all fittings. 15 mins to run antifreeze thru ballast pumps. 20 mins to fog all 8 cylinders thru spark plugs. 10 mins to disconnect and remove batteries. 2hrs 15 mins....... takes me longer to take to dealer, come home , go back to dealer and bring boat back home.......its all about the time for me ......and knowing that its done right...... now do the math and your paying Dr.s fees and a Dr. Isnt doing it....... ranting

plus , i check motor mounts, prop shaft bolts , accurate alignment and fluids.

OMG, I JUST CLICKED MY MARINAS REQUEST FOR THE ABOVE INCLUDING IMPELLER CHANGE FOR A MERE $1460 ........ holy smokes
    Last edited by docdrs; 10-10-2016 at 02:02 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug