Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default supra comp stringer restoration

i got a 89 supra comp that has soft spots in the floor and also has rotted around the motor mounts on the port side. I decided that this winter i was gunna tackle this project. i have gutted the inside and pulled the motor and separated the top from the hull. I cut out the floor and got the foam out and found that the port side has been full of water for god knows how long and that the stringers are in terrible condition. so before i go any further i would like to open a forum up for discussion and see what any of you other guys have done, problems you have had, tricks and advice and this will be my first time doing stringers planning on taking it nice and slow, got tell march to get it done. pics coming soon!

Use the search bar and go to [My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry] . There you will find my complete step by step stringer replacement on my 84 comp.

Finishing my first stringer job-- taking my time so hopefully don't have to do it again! Mine were in really bad shape like you say yours are. One thing that really helped me was to leave one side in the boat and try to measure and copy from it for the other side with the exception of notching the outside stringers. Think that was a major mistake from supra. Learned from a bunch of others posts on here that adding the drainage holes to at bottom of stringers is a must and will make them last longer. i spent most of my time shaping/sanding the bottom of the main stringers to the curvature of the hull before bedding them to avoid hard spots. Its definitely not a perfect job by any means, but I've got to think it's better than was from the factory! Good luck with your project.
    1991 supra conbrio

does anyone know what year if ever the supra comp ts6m went to fiberglass stringers... buying a 1990

Quote Originally Posted by mbraun55 View Post
    does anyone know what year if ever the supra comp ts6m went to fiberglass stringers... buying a 1990
    1992, the easy give away is the windshield. When it went to all composite stringers, the windshield went to a curved 2 piece instead of the four piece square one.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

alright thanks guys for the in put sorry for the delay as busy the past two weeks but this weekend i have big plans on the tearing out of the stringers! i was thinking about leaving a lip where the old fiber glass was so the wood would have a slot to slide into and would be in the exact same spot before... tell me if you think that is a bad idea and that i should sand them down flat with the hull. here are some pictures of the hull cleaned out and one of them you will notice is where the motor mount use to be and is the real reason for replacing the stringers.
    image3.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpg
    Last edited by apachelaker18; 11-01-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Default supra comp stringer restoration

Build frames take thousands of measurements

Frames to align the engine mounts mark al, the holes on the alignment frames and put them aside will make realigning everything much easier

Just get a chalk line down the center from shaft log to bow , take measurements from chalk line to sides of stringers for center to center and as for the height you can just take measurements every 6" down the stringer and then bevel the end and bed the board with PL or CSM and filler to make the bedding . Write down measurements first and do one side at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Do you seal the stringers and floor or glass them in when you are done, the guy doing my stringers, floor and transom insisted that he doesn't need to take the cap off.. and I don't know what u do to help preserve them when u r done. He is going to put drain holes in the stringers as suggested.... he has an old Supra comp he is working on for a guy and I saw the cap off and he said the owner took the cap off and tried to do it himself and he said that guy "went to far"?

well he cant get to the transom with out taking the cap off and depending if he is doing a full restoration or just tying into the old stringers which i though about but decided not cuz if im doing it once might as well do it right then the whole cap has to come off to get to the whole stringer.