Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it worth it? Am I crazy?

IMG_1189.jpgIMG_1188.jpgIMG_1190.jpgI am about to hand a guy $750 for an 86 sunsport. It needs new stringers and it has 2000 hours on it and a lot of the upholstery needs to be replaced. I have a guy that will do all of that with new carpet and floors for $7200. $8000 pretty much but it would be all new.... thoughts ? $3000 for stringers floor and carpet $2500 to rebuild motor and $1800 for upholstery
    Last edited by Littlemrnofear; 10-23-2016 at 04:48 PM.

I would buy it.... Trailer and block are worth much more than asking. I bet there is not much wrong with the engine, to me its the low hour ones which are junk.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

If all else is solid, do it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - For Sale
    2013 Supra SA450 with da FLOW
    2015 RAM 1500 Hemi - tow rig
    http://www.tffor.org

Default Cheap boat

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    I would buy it.... Trailer and block are worth much more than asking. I bet there is not much wrong with the engine, to me its the low hour ones which are junk.
    Ya know, he has to take the engine out to do stringers and floor so I was just going to have it rebuilt while it's out ? The boat sat for two years after he bought it from original owner of 28 yrs: I tracked down the original owner and he said he drove it all of the time and it was well maintained and ran great. Should I just drive it and do the motor later? I just figured with that many hours it was going to die soon?

At 8000 you will be upside down about 2000 but you will have a solid finished boat . If you can get a few years of use out of it you will be money ahead.

I'd do a compression test on the engine before rebuilding it. Taking the engine out isn't hard, so it's not like you're saving a lot of trouble by having it worked on while it's already out. It's probably 2 hours labor to pull an engine. You could also probably get it running while it's still in the boat, just to see what you're working with. If it's been sitting for 2 years, definitely use a separate fuel tank, like an outboard tank, hooked right up to the fuel pump - rather than dealing with the main tank that you're soon pulling anyway. A carb rebuild & tune-up could go a long way, too. But if it's got low compression on a cylinder or two, then yeah, might as well go through it.

Edit: to answer your question, nope you're not crazy. You could sell that trailer alone for $750. And if you do spend $8k on it, you'll have a nice bowrider inboard that's done depreciating.
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 10-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Who do you have doing stringers, floors, and carpet for 3k? Sounds like a good deal there. If you go down that path, let us know how it turns out.

Definitely not crazy. Like others said its worth more than $750 in parts. If i wasn't up to my ears in projects already, i'd jump all over something like this
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

So, did you pull the trigger? Seeing this post makes me think I am crazy because I just paid $2,000 for a 1985 Sunsport that will need stringers and floor soon though it did run and the upholstery is fine just the piping faded from red to blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Would love to know who is doing your stringers for $3,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat