Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winterization

Quote Originally Posted by jbousman88 View Post
    I did not mix my antifreeze. I drained the whole system of water which was about five gallons and then took the hose off the water intake and sucked up about 5-6 gallons of RV Marine antifreeze until it was coming out of the exhaust. I also checked the drains on the block to be sure it was straight pink antifreeze. Im assuming you meant 4-5 gallons and not 45?
    If the tstat was not open (which is probabpy was not) the water coming out of the exhaust was just the bypassed water coming off the manifolds....

Thats what he meant and i agree. Thats the reason i dont mess with the antifreeze..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If the system was already drained then the antifreeze is just insurance since there will be no water in the system. I poured it past the thermostat as well to fill the block just for piece of mind

If the system was already drained then the antifreeze is just insurance since there will be no water in the system. I poured it past the thermostat as well to fill the block just for piece of mind
    Yep, you should be fine.

Bottom line is.
    Drain your system before putting in antifreeze.
    Use premixed antifreeze or mix your own to the grade you need. Different in Florida compared to Canada for sure.
    Leave your system with antifreeze in it since the engine will rust worse from oxygen than lake-water and antifreeze also works as anti-corrosion.

Originally Posted by jbousman88
    I did not mix my antifreeze. I drained the whole system of water which was about five gallons and then took the hose off the water intake and sucked up about 5-6 gallons of RV Marine antifreeze until it was coming out of the exhaust. I also checked the drains on the block to be sure it was straight pink antifreeze. Im assuming you meant 4-5 gallons and not 45?

If the tstat was not open (which is probabpy was not) the water coming out of the exhaust was just the bypassed water coming off the manifolds....

Thats what he meant and i agree. Thats the reason i dont mess with the antifreeze..

Depending on your t stat housing configuration , fluid from the impeller pump flows directly into your Jtube and down to your circ pump and into your engine if there is no fluid in your block. If there is fluid in your block then is will be pushed out thru your exhaust manifolds. Fluid does not enter the block thru the thermostat it only leaves the block thru the thermostat.

If you suck up antifreeze from your intake pipe without draining these pipes ( the pipes before the impeller, and or Vdrive, and the Jpipe) then you are effectively diluting the antifreeze that enters the block as the water in these pipes will enter first. So drain these pipes too before you suck up any antifreeze

If you think you can just suck up antifreeze (prop glycol which the -50 is about 50% prop glycol) and recirculate it by recapturing it at exhaust ( some have elaborate setups for this) and allowing engine to come up to 160-180 degrees to get the thermostat open for proper mixing .....you would need 45 gallons of if (yes 45 gallons) to bring the 5 gallons of water in the cooling system up to an adequate prop glycol % for freeze protection.

So In a nut shell ...just drain and shop vac/blow the engine as per the manual instructions block, exhaust, vdrive, impeller, v drive muffler ,any intake hoses, water strainer and jtube and your good. If you want to be anal and I do it at times the suck up antifreeze after you have drained everything or I have poured it in thru the top of the J pipe.

And if you want to be most anal, remove your exhaust quick connect drain tubes at the exhaust once and a while to make sure there are no deposits to prevent draining of the exhaust manifolds....you can also just blow in each of the hoses to make sure they are clear too.

Now if you want to know how to winterize seadoo 2 stroke motors in 5 minutes thats a different story
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Ok ok now I'm following you about the 45 gallons. i drained all of my water our previously before pumping AF in. The risk of running it up to temp and having water in the system without draining it would have me losing sleep all winter and wondering if my block is cracking hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    Everyone has their own method, mine is to remove the thermostat and suck a bucket of antifreeze up the raw water intake, I have a separate hose that I connect to the intake side of the above mentioned heat exchanger, that way the impeller gets a good drink as well as the rest of the motor. I then pull all the drain plugs, and put it back together so it's ready for spring. I also do the fogging oil down the carb while running but I can't stall the motor so I just spray a bunch and shut it down. (this I do with the belt off the raw water pump)

Yes I agree this is the quickest way. Take thermostat out and store it inside the house so it doesn't get sticky from sitting. No waiting for operating temp, suck about half a gallon of water and then straight to RV af. Spray some oil into cylinders, fuel stabil, all done.
    '92 Comp ts6m - 5.8 PCM Pro Boss Carb
    '02 Launch SS - 5.7 Indmar Assualt TBI

Ok ok now I'm following you about the 45 gallons. i drained all of my water our previously before pumping AF in. The risk of running it up to temp and having water in the system without draining it would have me losing sleep all winter and wondering if my block is cracking hahahaha

Ya there is actually a YouTube video of a guy and his kids winterizing his boat, or attempting to. Starts boat, let's it run very briefly and starts sucking af before tstat opens and it all just runs out his pipes. Think it's called "my kids winterizing my
    Boat". Use it as a reference of what not to do.

ok, I am going to say it.......removing your tstat is absolutely the stupidest thing to do... #1 you are just diluting the water in your block with antifreeze.(why why why?)(and if you did drain the block it is way easier to pour it down the jtube as you need to get the water out of this hose anyways.) #2. it is way quicker to drain the block thru the block drains and you don't have to remove and reinstall your tstat. #3 you don't have to frig around with the tstat gasket and make sure its not leaking afterwards. its common sense
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Agree with docdrs. Just drain the block and hoses and pump and then you know for a fact there is nothing in there to expand and crack.

Too each their own.