Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone install the $3999 surf system on an older sunsport?

It's the "wave control system" https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol
    I would be willing to invest if I can install ballast in the front and back, evenly weight it and use this technology . It looks pretty impressive. It costs as much as my 86 Supra but it sure beats a new $90k surf boat.... thoughts ?

They are not tested for the older hulls. When I say that, back then the boats were made to ski, not make a big surf wake.
    You will never get the wake you would expect.

Save your money, buy some ballast bags and a suck-gate for the side of the boat.
    Ballast bags can be found used if you are looking to save a few coins.
    You can make a suck-gate or buy one from the many people making them.

With the money you save, start saving for a used v-drive.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 11-09-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Default Sunsport surfing

Hmmm I got the sunsport because I thought it was a great hull for surfing with lots of freeboard ? I'm going to put 800lb up front under the open bow and two 400lb under the back seat and locker and I guess put one on the floor on the side I am surfing and stick on the suction wake wedge deal? Does that sound right ? I have been reading what everyone else has done and that is the config I think will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemrnofear View Post
    Hmmm I got the sunsport because I thought it was a great hull for surfing with lots of freeboard ? I'm going to put 800lb up front under the open bow and two 400lb under the back seat and locker and I guess put one on the floor on the side I am surfing and stick on the suction wake wedge deal? Does that sound right ? I have been reading what everyone else has done and that is the config I think will work?
    you are right, for an older boat it has high freeboard. instead of the wakemakers system i did malibu-style surfgates which works really well on my '88. all-in i have about $200 into it, with manual deployment on both sides. over the winter i'm going to automate it with lenco actuators and some software to deploy at 6mph and retract at 13mph. that's more expensive--i'm into about $500 in parts on that, but will be worth it for the automation. there is a guy on the malibu forums (martinarcher) who sells an automation package that a lot of people use very successfully, and i think it's around $1200. add your own surf gates and actuators and you can have a great system for less than half of the wavecontrol system.

for weight, i run 650 up front, an 800 on the surf side plus ~500lbs of people or additional weight on top of it, and ~600 non-surf side (with the surfgate deployed). works great and the boat is still easy to drive compared to just weighing one side heavily. in my opinion you might dunk the nose a bit with the 800 up front--with my 650 i have to take it easy if someone is also sitting up there.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    They are tested for the older hulls. When I say that, back then the boats were made to ski, not make a big surf wake.
    You will never get the wake you would expect.

Save your money, buy some ballast bags and a suck-gate for the side of the boat.
    Ballast bags can be found used if you are looking to save a few coins.
    You can make a suck-gate or buy one from the many people making them.

With the money you save, start saving for a used v-drive.
    ^^^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemrnofear View Post
    Great is relative to what you're comparing it to. "great" compared to a Supra Comp or a Mastercraft Prostar 190, probably so. But it won't really ever compare to a modern V-drive. As far as weight, you'll be hard pressed to get THAT much weight in most direct drives. When I surf with my v-drive, I'm using well over 3,000 pounds of ballast... The most I ever had in my Supra Sunsport was maybe around 2,000.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I am a total beginner so this is total entry level to say the least. I know me and once I get addicted, I will have to upgrade to more expensive V-drive, but I figured starting out under 6-7K I can have some fun and not lose much when it's time to move up. Thank you for your intel, as I said, this is new territory for me. I surf in the ocean but I live in the delta in Cali now and I would love to be able to surf in my back yard when I can't make the drive to the ocean.... oh.... and no sharks

Yep, youll have plenty of fun. I do on my old dd brendella, it pops out a wave just fine with no 4k system. I just made some nautique style plates and viola.

Anything will delay the convergence. Its just a matter of how much area in relation to the angle. More angle, less area. Less angle, more area. Find the sweet spot and it will work...

Dont fall into this new thing of absolutely needing a surf system. People sirfed for years without it by just setting the weight up correctly, having everyone sit uncomfprtably, and leaning the boat till the rubrail was well into the water. I did it for years in my supra comp till i bought my own boat. Yes i do use a surf system, but mainly so i can switch sides easier ajd faster, and drive safer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

now THAT looks fun

Yep. Here was my comp setup for surf with no surf system, just weight and leaning the boat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

anyone throw this on a older V drive? I have a 2003 ssv and with it being on sale i thought id pick it up. I have a suck gate but i feel as the wave is better when i use only ballast. Im also looking at getting a wrap also so id assume that id really not be able to use the suck gate then.