Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemrnofear View Post
    Hmmm I got the sunsport because I thought it was a great hull for surfing with lots of freeboard ? I'm going to put 800lb up front under the open bow and two 400lb under the back seat and locker and I guess put one on the floor on the side I am surfing and stick on the suction wake wedge deal? Does that sound right ? I have been reading what everyone else has done and that is the config I think will work?
    It will work just play around with it but you seriously you can build I suck gate for $15 and my buddy uses it on his 87 and has a great wave.... my 2002 is actually as big as the sa550 and lets be honest 15/4000 do you really need to switch sides while moving????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP - these guys are steering you in the right direction. Don't waste your money on an expensive surf setup on your Sunsport. I have an 88 sunsport that i surfed for a few years with just ballast. The wave wasnt great, but surfable. This summer i spent $20 on a home made surf gate and it made a HUGE difference. I was surfing with a buddy who said my DD Sunsport with my home made contraption and about 800lbs in the ski locker was throwing a better wake that a much newer Malibu Wakesetter he was riding behind a few weeks prior. I have about $400 invested in ballast bags and fill pumps. Spend some time, not money getting your Sunsport set up and it will surf just fine.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    OP - these guys are steering you in the right direction. Don't waste your money on an expensive surf setup on your Sunsport. I have an 88 sunsport that i surfed for a few years with just ballast. The wave wasnt great, but surfable. This summer i spent $20 on a home made surf gate and it made a HUGE difference. I was surfing with a buddy who said my DD Sunsport with my home made contraption and about 800lbs in the ski locker was throwing a better wake that a much newer Malibu Wakesetter he was riding behind a few weeks prior. I have about $400 invested in ballast bags and fill pumps. Spend some time, not money getting your Sunsport set up and it will surf just fine.
    Great advice for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The malibu wasnt setup right then. Comparing an older ski hull for surfing, to a new boat with a different hull is night and day when setup correctly.

That being said, my brother has a new malibu. Hes taken his time dialing it in, running a surf gate setup off the platform, adding bags and figuring the wedge. You can easily find the enourmous sweet spot that has plenty of push. I have never seen ANY dd throw a wave as tall and as long, regardless of what fancy device is added.

Ive seen l plenty of pics and vdrives on the water that have the crappiest looking wave, and its no wonder they cant throw the line in. But that doesnt mean the new boats suck. The person weighting it is the one who sucks...

Not to say you cant surf behind a old dd. Shoot I do it. But ride behind a new vdrive thats setup properly, and youll realize theres no comparison. If i had to choose to surf behind my boat or a newer vdrive thats setup, its a no brainer.

But for me, im cheap, and gas is cheap on my smaller boat..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPR View Post
    The malibu wasnt setup right then. Comparing an older ski hull for surfing, to a new boat with a different hull is night and day when setup correctly.

That being said, my brother has a new malibu. Hes taken his time dialing it in, running a surf gate setup off the platform, adding bags and figuring the wedge. You can easily find the enourmous sweet spot that has plenty of push. I have never seen ANY dd throw a wave as tall and as long, regardless of what fancy device is added.

Ive seen l plenty of pics and vdrives on the water that have the crappiest looking wave, and its no wonder they cant throw the line in. But that doesnt mean the new boats suck. The person weighting it is the one who sucks...

Not to say you cant surf behind a old dd. Shoot I do it. But ride behind a new vdrive thats setup properly, and youll realize theres no comparison. If i had to choose to surf behind my boat or a newer vdrive thats setup, its a no brainer.

But for me, im cheap, and gas is cheap on my smaller boat..

This thought had crossed my mind. I'm pretty sure that Wakesetter could have been set up better, i wasn't there and never saw the wave. It did have a decent wave, my buddy is a decent surfer and had no issues throwing the rope and riding. I don't disagree that a properly set up, modern hull design will out preform any of the older DD's, no matter what tricks you throw at it. But it still doesn't negate the fact that with a little time and money, most older DD's can be set up to surf well for the limited money invested. Most of us guys that are still rocking the DD's don't have deep enough pockets to get into something more modern, otherwise we'd have one. I can't recommend a $4k investment/experiment on a sub $10k boat for someone who's just getting into surfing, when the same results can be had for pennies.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

This thought had crossed my mind. I'm pretty sure that Wakesetter could have been set up better, i wasn't there and never saw the wave. It did have a decent wave, my buddy is a decent surfer and had no issues throwing the rope and riding. I don't disagree that a properly set up, modern hull design will out preform any of the older DD's, no matter what tricks you throw at it. But it still doesn't negate the fact that with a little time and money, most older DD's can be set up to surf well for the limited money invested. Most of us guys that are still rocking the DD's don't have deep enough pockets to get into something more modern, otherwise we'd have one. I can't recommend a $4k investment/experiment on a sub $10k boat for someone who's just getting into surfing, when the same results can be had for pennies.
    Yep. Almost any dd can throw a decent wave with some experimenting. But it will never compare to a modern vdrive thats setup properly too...