Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pirata, need better fuel economy

Assuming you were looking to repower a older pirata and the primary objective was improving fuel economy, are there engine options available which help in fuel without taking a bath on torque?

Nope.

Seriously, you can spend a lot of money on fuel, and I mean A LOT, before the difference between a modern fuel injected and a properly tuned carbed V8 would pay for a re-power. Without crunching the numbers, I would hazard a guess that you would never pay for a new motor with fuel savings. Ski boats by their nature are gas guzzlers, that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    Assuming you were looking to repower a older pirata and the primary objective was improving fuel economy, are there engine options available which help in fuel without taking a bath on torque?
    Fuel economy in boats is more related to weight and drag of the boat than it is the engine.

I have a bbc Pirata and all things considered it is a very fuel efficient boat.

^ weight, drag....and a good prop. Any idea how old yours is? Few changes will make as big of a difference as a new prop compared to an old one. In addition to improved hole shot & top end is somewhat better economy.

But, ducking as I type this...weight...wet foam adds lots of weight and it's unfortunately not uncommon.

They make throttle body closed loop kits . But it will set you back 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I was pretty sure of the answer when I threw it out there but thought I would give it a shot.

Salty - good thought on the prop, probably worth starting down that way.

Don't pull a tube.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

But, ducking as I type this...weight...wet foam adds lots of weight and it's unfortunately not uncommon.
    I know this might be heresy, (my turn to duck) but I don't think wet foam is even detectable as a performance degradation. My first windsurfers were made from pour in place foam like the stuff in our boats. These boards were fragile and would eventually start taking on water. When the foam was really saturated they had about 10 lbs of water in them. That's a 100 litre volume board. To put that in perspective a standard SUP board these days is around 200 litres. How many SUPs could you cram under the floor of your boat? 4 or 5 maybe? That would be about 100lbs in extra water and I highly doubt that it's even that much.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    I know this might be heresy, (my turn to duck) but I don't think wet foam is even detectable as a performance degradation. My first windsurfers were made from pour in place foam like the stuff in our boats. These boards were fragile and would eventually start taking on water. When the foam was really saturated they had about 10 lbs of water in them. That's a 100 litre volume board. To put that in perspective a standard SUP board these days is around 200 litres. How many SUPs could you cram under the floor of your boat? 4 or 5 maybe? That would be about 100lbs in extra water and I highly doubt that it's even that much.
    I took about 6 trash cans of wet foam out of my boat at about 100 pounds each. Some people say they have taken close to 1,000 pounds out but not sure how accurate that is. My friends Malibu sunsetter is wet and it drives and has a wake like it has a few fat sacs in it so I would not be surprised if it has 1,000 pounds in it haha.

I weighed my Comp both before and after I rebuilt it on the exact same scale with a slight variation in the fuel load in the tank. Anyways, with all the work that I did, I ended up removing close to 1,000 pounds out of my boat between eliminating the tower, the wet foam and the rotten stringers. I also ended up overbuilding it when I put it all back together so when you factor all that in it is not hard to imagine how much soaked foam weighs. As an aside, my boat pre-cap off restoration had the platform in the water at rest while now it rides a full 2-3 inches above the waterline.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski