Default Price for a supra sunsport with stringer work

Ok here goes. I have a 86 supra sunsport that is in GREAT shape both with the motor and the exterior gel goat as well as the interior. trailer is in perfect shape with newer tires and all bearings just redone and re greased. has a big block 454 is perfect shape and starts every time no issues. runs great and interior in flawless. Now for the issue. I have had the stringers look at by mid indiana marine and they said motor mounts are solid but it will be need stringer work at some point. My wife is hesitant putting a ton of money into a 1986 and she is leaning more to the sell side. what is the going rate for a boat in this shape?
    IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG
    Last edited by jbousman88; 01-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.

On the other hand .... if the motor mounts are solid and you don't step through the carpet, maybe run that gem for a few more years.

I paid 6.5k for my 89 Sunsport a couple years ago. My stringers will need to be redone, but the motor mounts still seem solid. The uphostery needed a little work and I've been moving through that piecemeal. I might have negotiated for less had I know about the floor issues. The chap I bought it from told me the floor was composite and I didn't know better. Silly me.

It's all about what you like and what you feel is good bang for your buck.

I bought a 91 for $5k two years ago with 450 hrs. It had wood stringers that we're starting to show wear but had solid motor mounts all day. Painted it, redid the ignition, new carb, painted the trailer, new trailer tires and exhaust.

Still, I never got any bites at more than $8k. Finally sold it for a $7250 last Fall and lost a couple bucks.

After its all said and done with a stringer $3k cap off, you'll never get for than $10,000 for the boat if it's FLAWLESS.

Plus, people can get a 93 and newer (composite stringers) for $10,000 -$14,000.

And finally, shop around a while and you could get a 2000 for $15 - $20k.

So like I said, it's all about what you feel your time and money are worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea on what you would think mine could bring as is? Any one interested?

What happened to the teak on the starboard side? As far as what it would bring...5 ish, maybe? A little more if someone is convinced the stringers are decent.

Teak is all there this picture was just when i was in the process of sanding and re oiling it

Just for reference, i paid $6500 for my 1988 sunsport 454. 700hrs on the clock, boat was close to immaculate, and very well taken care of. Original stingers were VERY solid (and still are 4 years later). I'd say rock that boat for another year or two until it needs the stringers done, but im biased. That will give you time to convince the wife to keep it. You already know what you have with this boat. You could sell it for something newer that's plagued with problems, costing you more than the stringer job in the long run. Besides, 454 powered sunsports are pretty rare, and its a lot of motor for that little boat so they are fun
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4