Thread: Winter Storage

Default Winter Storage

I have a question for those who store their boats through the winter. I am rebuilding my garage, and wanting to heat with a radiant tube heater. I am concerned about clearance to the top cap of my boat. The heater will hang at about 8 feet to bottom of the tube. Is 3 feet to the top cap of my boat going to be enough? I may be storing my brothers SAN230 at that end of my shop as well - his top cap has got to be every bit of 6 feet high on the trailer. Either boat would be covered if stuffed at that end of the shop, and I don't intend on heating it to any more than 10C when I'm in there. Obviously it will be hotter right under the heater when it is running.

Anybody here store their boat under a radiant heater? I would hate to have issues with gel coat or vinyl. If I hear of anybody having issues I will hang heater on the back wall but think it will work best over the east wall where boats will be parked.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the mfr clearances. If its the high bay type (common) theres no chance..

If its the low bay garage type you should be ok.

Remember, even though you arent heating it much, when it is running it still gets HOT

-hvac tech of 11 years

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's my concern, it will be a garage type (spec only requires 1 ft of clearance) but obviously I don't want to be blistering gel coat or cracking vinyl over it. If it is going to be an issue, I'll go forced air but I would rather use radiant heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk