Default 2007 21V vs. 2009 20SSV - Looking to Buy First Supra

Hey Everyone, I have owned boats most of my life but this will be my first wake boat. I am looking at a 2007 21V and a 2009 20SSV. I am not sure of the difference other than size and year between the two. The pricing is more or less the same and both have about 300 hours. The 21V is from a dealer and comes with a 1 year warranty, the 20SSV is a private sale with no real coverage. I am looking for a boat that will allow me to surf but my kids can learn to wakeboard and ski on. Both boats have upgraded ballast and stereos. Wondering about any advice or experience with these boats?

I have a 2011 Supra Launch 22V that I bought used. It's a bit different from yours, but not crazy different, AFAIK. I love ours, and I love the size of it - I'd really think carefully about the 20SSV and make sure it is sized right for you, as it's the smallest in the lineup. With upgraded ballast, you should be good to surf immediately, although you may fine tune it or even experiment with some of the shaping devices, like a suck gate. Obviously, take it out on the water and test everything, filling ballast, emptying, setting up for surfing / wake boarding, perfect pass / cruise control, etc.

I'm sure there are some differences in the electronics / controls, but as long as the basics are working, including perfect pass, and the boat is mechanically sound, of course, you are good to go. I have a few buttons on mine that are "cool", but not at all things I must have.

Good luck!
    Mark
    2011 Launch 22V

I have an '07 21V. I have had it for a year and my family loves it! My debate was between a 21 or 22. The 20 just seem compact and small compared to the other two. The floor plan of the 21 was also a contributing factor. I am still playing around with the surf wake. With a ton of weight, the lip of the swim deck grabs the water, and just destroys the wave. The hull is great for wakeboarding, wake is very nice out the back, and can be great for surfing without the factory swim deck. I will be trying one of the many "Suck Gates" and see if I can get the desirable push and length with that. The previous owner had a make shift swimdeck and was using velcro to secure a skate ramp to the hull for surfing. Sprinkler valves are a pita.... thankfully they are cheap from Home Depot. I have 750 hours on the clock with minimal issues. With the warranty from the dealer, I would really run the tar out of it and make sure everything is in good working order during the warrantied time. Dealer peace of mind is really worth a lot, unless you have personal knowledge of the boat from the individual.
    Last edited by Plum Nauti; 01-30-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

The 09 will have jabsco ballast pumps +++ , the 07 sprinkler valves which can be pita. You wont get rollers over the bow on the 21 v +++ like you can with the 20 ssv as the bow is much higher. The 21v sucks for slalom --- water skiing as wake is too big. The 09 will have a dripless shaft seal. The 09 may have a 340 hp cat motor+++ over the 07 330hp. 09 has an electric wake plate +? over the 07 hydraulic wake plate
    Last edited by docdrs; 02-01-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I have a 07 20SSV and docdrs is right in that big rollers will go over the bow, and it also has limited storage, but I have no regrets on my purchase. The reason I went with the 20SSV is that it fits in my standard 2 car garage (just barely), which saves a lot of storage costs. I have the ballast upgraded and it's been very reliable. Good luck!

IMG_0008.jpg

I have the same basic question, however, not narrowed down so specifically... I would like to get information on the model year differences I have been leaning hard towards Used Supra vs. MC, or Natique, mainly b/c lake neighbor has one and loves it and is a great wake boat... he had 09 22SSV.
    I am looking any where from like 2005-2010 and would love information on what changed when on the boats ..... is there a site like Edmunds is for cars.. that goes over model year changes? Thanks

Default 2007 21V vs. 2009 20SSV - Looking to Buy First Supra

There is some information on the main Supra Boat site. There is a downloads section that will enable you to access the user manuals.

For example, in my 2007 manual there is a section that lists all the boat specs and motor options for all boats that year. It does not list every detail on those pages.

Otherwise, on items like sprinkler ballast setup vs jabsco/johnson reversible pump setup, you would find that quicker by asking it here or on the Moomba Boat site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400