Thread: Engine Dies

Default Engine Dies

Got a strange one. I have a 2006 22 SSV. Basically the engine just started dying out of no where. The engine is running great and then poof.....it quits. The other strange thing is that my perfect pass just starts rebooting itself as well (started the same time the dying started). Then the boat would not start at all and perfect pass would not come on (never got the third beep) Finally got boat started and perfect pass came on after the boat started. Usually comes on when i turn the key. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, but any ideas??

First make sure the kill switch lanyard is completely seated on the kill switch. Next check and see if all battery connections are clean and tight.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that , but everything looked good and was secure.

It sounds electrical to me. It could be loose terminals, grounds, bad electronics, a short that occurs when in rough water, etc.

Are you under way when it dies? Do the instruments turn off when it dies? What does the voltmeter read when it dies? When you restart the boat does it start up right away or does it take many tries? If it isn't starting right away is there spark at the plugs?
    H2Oman
    06 24SSV GG

Thanks for the response. I can be under way or sitting at idle when the issue occurs. The Battery Terminals were secure and clean and the volt meter was good so i don't think the battery is the problem. I also have the dual battery setup and it happens with either battery. The instruments stay on when it dies. Perfect pass has also started rebooting itself. The engine usually starts right back up, but the last time this happened the engine would not start and perfect pass would not come on when i turned the key. It is at the dealer now, i will let you know what the issue is when i hear from them.

Well just got word from the dealer that the issue is a bad perfect pass module.

Update...The entire perfect pass system has to be replaced. The extended warranty came in handy on this one.

If Ive said it once... ive said it a hundred times... Boys, take your perfect pass units out and see if you can trade them in on somthing that not only will you use.... but will actually work!!