Default boat starting issue (electrical) 87 ts6m

I picked up a non running 1987 supra comp. ts6m for 1500$ I will be bringing this boat back to life.

I got the boat running after some plugs and wires were replaced after a day on the water boat was cruising at around 35mph for about an hour.
    I get back to the dock and turn the boat off and tie up to get trailer. when I come back to start the boat nothing happens no start all accessory lights bilige and all work but no start.
    I did notice that the volt meter on the dash was only reading 12 under full throttle so I thought the battery (optima red top) had died.
    so I get the boat home and throw a fresh redtop on it and the starter solenoid engages and the starter runs away. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.
    so I didn't know if it was the starter solenoid or the ignition so I replaced them both. after the replacement I went to start the boat the starter solenoid melted.
    so I jumped my ignition so I just had a single switch to the starter solenoid and same thing it just starts to heat up.
    I can get the boat to turn over (the right way) but starter is dragging horribly and the external starter solenoid and the wire from solenoid to battery is melting.
    I have replaced cables as well with no different results.

any info or related pics for the relay/wiring of a working boat would be much appreciated I have been at this for a month now going in circles thanks in advance
    Last edited by cmanning816; 02-06-2017 at 03:14 PM.

PM me your email and I'll send you an owners and service manual.

pm'd thanks a lot!!!!!

pm me with your email and I'll send you a wiring diagram that I made quite a while ago that is a lot easier to read than the one in the supra manual.

From what you're describing I'd say your starter may have windings shorted. I'd pull the starter and take it to an automotive electrical shop to get it tested, and or rebuilt.
    Last edited by chris young; 02-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.

You guys are really awesome on his forum I really appreciate your time and sending me these manuals and diagrams it's a big help I will keep you updated
    and I have a warranty on starter so I definitely will check that out
    Last edited by cmanning816; 02-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.

299.jpgGlad to have you on the forum. Please post some pictures of what you got for 1500 bucks.IMG_0778.JPG

Default Help me too.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    pm me with your email and I'll send you a wiring diagram that I made quite a while ago that is a lot easier to read than the one in the supra manual.

From what you're describing I'd say your starter may have windings shorted. I'd pull the starter and take it to an automotive electrical shop to get it tested, and or rebuilt.
    I just spent way too much taking my 87 Supra to a shop - 1st time ever. My mistake 'get it running safely'. Replaced my perfectly fine Napa starter with a Marine starter; replaced solenoid, ignition (even tho they said they didnt)... Today for the 1st time in 16yrs running - the boat was turning over without a key. Freaked me out. Pulled the battery cable. Messed around with the ignition switch; tapped on the starter with a wrench; tapped on the solenoid with a wrench. Then hooked up the battery - inset key, push button, turn key - started and ran like nothing happened. BUT IT DID. If you still have that wiring diagram, I'd love to have a copy of it.