Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Here's the first stringer bedded down... I found a new use for the mainfolds, risers and some rotors I had laying around.

Pretty pleased with the tent, it's done a good job keeping the hull dry. I think pep boys had mis-marked the pricing or something b/c at 169 it is a heck of a deal.

Anything that has weight ! lol I used anything I could find when I did mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Back on post # 7 I mentioned that the boat came with 40 gallons of Vinyl ester, and I got around to testing it last week, but it did not kick off. I decided to order up some new hardner (MEKP) from US Comp and gave it a test tonight.

I mixed up 1/2 pt and thickened it with some cabosil.

I just slathered it on some scraps laying around to see if it is going to work for my fillets.

After about an hour it had gotten a little firm and rubbery

Here's what I left in the pot, it seems to have kicked off like its supposed to...it was hot enough to melt through the pot, and was hard as a rock.

What do you guys think? Probably should work for coating the raw plywood stringers and fillets, then I'll use the 1708 and some expoxy to glass in the stringers?

Yeah, I think that will work fine. Just make sure it's mixed well and not too weak. Your ambient temperature will make a difference for curing times also, so take that into account.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Rebuilt the Sherwood Pump tonight.

Went with major rebuild kit

Impeller side

Hub Side

I accidentally snapped the old cast hub

Ordered a new forged hub...just need to finish pressing it on, but will need to rent a tool to finish the job.

Also, rub rail and steering kit came in today.

Last edited by Cooose; 05-31-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Did some cutting & grinding on the port side tonight...with any luck I'll have the main stringer on this side bedded down by Sunday. I have it rough cut, but still need to shape the angles/profile for bedding down.

It's amazing how nice a bare hull can look after getting all of that rotten junk out.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Looking good. Yeah I second what Titan said...it's amazing how much better it looks.

Got the port side bedded down tonight after work.

Here it is mocked up. I set it in place dry and traced the lines on either side of the stringer and then leveled it up in place using the blocks and clamps.

Then I fill in the traced outline with PL and my 1/4" insulation shims

Weighted down and set in place.

I'm helping a friend install some windows in an addition he is working on tomorrow and then hopefully sometime Sunday/Monday I'll be ready to tab this side in. With the main stringers tabbed in hopefully the pace will pick up.

Question for you pro's out there who have been down this road before.

What are the absolute must things to do before putting the cap back on. My plan is to pull new speaker and light wires around the boat and maybe redo the pvc channels or at
    least extend them somewhat in areas...anything else I'm not thinking of?

Hey Okie - You got any pics of the bilge in front of the doghouse from when you did yours?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cooose; 06-23-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: combine posts