Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default 88 Saltare Rebuild

Hello Everyone,

I've picked up an 88 saltare from a fellow forum member, who had started down the path of addressing the stringers however the project ended up sitting for around a year or so. His thread is here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...altare-Project

So far, I've confirmed the engine is pretty much shot, but I was expecting that going in.

Oil pan and a chunk of the missing cylinder wall

I'll try to post a picture of how its sitting right now

More to come over the next several weeks as I start in on the stringer repair.
    Last edited by Cooose; 02-08-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: trying to fix picture links

Good luck on the rebuild. Looks like you've got good bones to start with, but sounds like the engine is done.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I think I may have figured out how to attach a few pictures.

Here's what was rattling around in the oil pan...couple rods, part of the cam, pieces of the connecting rod that snapped and bits of the cylinder wall.

IMG_20170207_235009445.jpg
    IMG_20170207_233137962.jpg

And a picture of how the hull is currently sitting
    IMG_20170128_173403042.jpg

That's some carnage, I wonder how that happened. Keep us posted as you progress with the hull and engine.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    That's some carnage, I wonder how that happened. Keep us posted as you progress with the hull and engine.
    Dunk ! Check your inbox , trying to sum up some numbers for the 351 build ! Need your advice my man !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    That's some carnage
    Carnage for sure! Hard to tell exactly what went wrong or in what order but the engine was supposedly rebuilt 2 owners back and only had ~ 30 hrs on it since the rebuild when it failed on the guy I got it from.

A couple bearings were trashed and I'm guessing something may have went south with the crankshaft causing one of the connecting arms to snap and then the portion still connected to the shaft beat the heck out of the top walls of cylinder 1&2. A couple of the lifters were also trashed so this could caused the cam to bind up in some way because the chunk you see in the picture posted above broke in the middle leaving a total of 3 separate lengths of the cam.

In any case total carnage ensued.

I spent a few hours grinding this afternoon and was able to get the starboard side 90% done. I've just got to clean up the area where the stringers meet the transom and a small area near the mid ship drain and then will be ready to bed in the stringers on that side. Aside from being dusty, itchy, and cramped in weird positions, I was a little surprised how well it went.

My approach was to use a dremel tool with a flat cutter to take down the lip from the old stringers and then two 4.25 angle grinders. For the angle grinders I was swapping between a harbor freight and dewalt...I ended up killing the dewalt. The only issue with the HF one is that I lost the screw in handle and the head kept getting pretty hot, but it got me through the day. This evening I picked up a 7" grinder from my brother-in-law so I should be in business going forward.

The boat purchase came with 40 gallons of vinyl ester and 25yd of 1708. The resin is unopened, but has been sitting about 16 months. The label from US Composites indicates that it only has a 3 month shelf life. If I mix a batch up and it kicks off, is it good to go, or could there be problems down the road?

I was talking to a local boat builder and he indicated that he always "hangs" his boats when doing the stringers, especially when doing service work. He indicated that the bedding while in the trailer could cause issues...From what I recall, most if not all the build threads I've looked at showed folks replacing everything while the boat is on the trailer. Has anyone noticed any issues?

As far as the engine goes, I'm leaning toward getting a reman unit from CME in Johnston SC. With everything else going on, I'd rather just get a plug & play unit and hopefully see the lake this summer vs working through doing a build on the engine myself. Anyone have any opinions of CME, or reman units in general?
    Last edited by Cooose; 02-25-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: can't spell

I have used quite a fewl 5.7 marine engines from Jasper and had good luck.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

I thought Jasper only uses a dealer network?

They will sell consumer direct with the marine engines.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454