Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    Yes, this is in neutral. Ask google to find you a video with the title "Morse
    That video was really helpful, I can to finish putting it back together now.

Yeah, i believe it’s the transmission. I worked my way down and isolated and transmission and got nothin. I found an old catalog on the Borg Warner tranny and it looks like all the reverse gears are at the mouth of the gear box, so it shouldn’t be too messy of a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some time to work on the flooring

Fillets along side the edge of the floor and hull

Counter sunk all the holes where the flooring is screwed down to the floor, filled the countersinks with epoxy peanut butter.

Floor glassed in

Attached Images Attached Images

I know it's a lot of work, but after seeing how the manufacturer did it, and now seeing well it's going back together - how much confidence do you have about what the end result will be? Last 50 years with proper care? I love seeing these older boats going back together knowing that they're now built way better than they were on an assembly line. Looking great man.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

TitanTN - it's an interesting point. I think that the drainage holes alone could have delayed the rot and breakdown of the original stringers considerably. No drainage + open cell foam equals rot. I've addressed both of these in my rebuild so hopefully with proper care I won't see any rot for 20+ years

got the bilge painted today

Another layer of glass prepped to go on the deck

Port side wetted out

all done

Fixed a hole that was in the bow locker.

I glassed over the entire hole and once it kicks off I'll grind it smooth and re-drill the opening.

before

after

Also, upholstery materials arrived.

You're doing your own upholstery too? That's where I abstain. Looking forward to see how this goes for you.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    You're doing your own upholstery too? That's where I abstain. Looking forward to see how this goes for you.
    Apparently I'm just a sucker for punishment!

I was planning on trying to go back with the existing seats for this season, but when I started digging the interior back out of storage, all the wood in the bow area was pretty well rotted out. I decided I couldn't justify putting in a crap interior after all the other work that's gone into it. Hopefully it turns out decent.

A couple of updates.

I built a gantry crane out of lumber to lift the cap and position it on the hull.

Here is the cap hanging from the crane. You can't see it in the picture, but the hull is on the trailer directly behind the cap.

Here is the hull being pulled under the cap. I hooked up an ATV winch and mounted it to the front hitch on the expedition and it pulled the hull into position quite nicely. In order to "steer" the hull I would just move the truck forward or backward which would change the angle on the winch.

And here is the cap loosely fitted to the hull. I will still have to raise it in order to complete the wiring and some final glass work on the underside of the cap to reinforce some mounts for a tower.

I got the "wow, it finally looks like a boat" from Mrs Cooose.

Last edited by Cooose; 05-20-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed pic