Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Here's a picture of where I'm at with the grinding.

I'm also having trouble getting these bolts off...i need to find something with a flat head and large/thick enough to keep the screw from spinning from below.

Make sure to keep you centerline clear and set your stringers off the center so your engine will align straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

My plan was to pull a string down the center to measure off of, is this along the lines of what you were indicating?

Starting in on the rudder.

Following this thread...big thanks to TitanTn and the others who contributed. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...der-port/page4

Most everything came out...one of the upper seals is stuck, I'm going to have to dig it out with a pick or something...and the lock ring on the very bottom has rust/weld itself into the grove so I'll have to figure something out there as well. There are threads for 2 grease fittings but only one grease fitting was present.

Also noticed the rudder looks to have some sort of cavitation burn near the top. I'm thinking I'll just grind it smooth for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    My plan was to pull a string down the center to measure off of, is this along the lines of what you were indicating?
    Yes I would snap a chalk line center of shaft log and Down the middle of the boat and measure side to side off that to keep the engine mounting square and true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'd also recommend that you do one side at a time so you have the other side to refer to.

Damn, Cooose...looks like you ground it smooth as a baby's butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Damn, Cooose...looks like you ground it smooth as a baby's butt.
    The big guy in the middle makes it easy....the down side is that I got a little to much dust on the googles and ended up grinding through the cord of the smaller harbor freight unit on the right. I'll have to repair the cord on it since I burned up the other 4-1/4" dewalt unit (not pictured...already in the trash)

Here are some better pictures of the engine carnage.

You're lucky that didn't destroy the block.

Good job on the grinding - I agree with Salty, you're taking that down as far as I've ever seen one.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839