Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    Here are some better pictures of the engine carnage.

I would look at a roller model like 94 351 , you don't have to worry about breaking in the cam and also zinc additives , the cost is not that much more vs reliability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I was pretty much thinking the block was trashed due to the damage on the cylinder walls of 1&2. You guys think differently?

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    I would look at a roller model like 94 351 , you don't have to worry about breaking in the cam and also zinc additives , the cost is not that much more vs reliability
    Why a 351 vs another 454 with a roller cam/lifter setup?

Why a 351 vs another 454 with a roller cam/lifter setup?
    Oh if you have the 454 then go with that , roller valve train though

I was pretty much thinking the block was trashed due to the damage on the cylinder walls of 1&2. You guys think differently?
    Oh you may be right. It's been a while since I saw the beginning of this thread and I thought the block was ok. May not be.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I was talking to a local boat builder and he indicated that he always "hangs" his boats when doing the stringers, especially when doing service work. He indicated that the bedding while in the trailer could cause issues...From what I recall, most if not all the build threads I've looked at showed folks replacing everything while the boat is on the trailer. Has anyone noticed any issues?
    I believe most people have reinforced their lower hulls with ratchet straps or temporary wood braces. The gunnels will flex out if left unsupported and make it difficult to fit the cap back on.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I believe most people have reinforced their lower hulls with ratchet straps or temporary wood braces. The gunnels will flex out if left unsupported and make it difficult to fit the cap back on.
    That's a good point Wotan , floor height too , I left a lip of the old floor height around the inner edge of the gunnel to make sure the sides would sit flush . I would just take a lot of measurements of height and stringer position .

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post

Part of my challenge is that I took on this project midstream from the PO after it set for around a year. To my knowledge they have. It been supported in any way...I can measure now but my guess is the gunnels have already relaxed if the are going to at all. Any chance anyone took some measurements gunnel to gunnel in a few places on their rebuilds?

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    That's a good point Wotan , floor height too , I left a lip of the old floor height around the inner edge of the gunnel to make sure the sides would sit flush . I would just take a lot of measurements of height and stringer position .

Fortunately I do have a few lips here and there to pull some strings.

Fortunately I do have a few lips here and there to pull some strings.
    Just check floor height and snap some lines and go off that , once you have the main stringers bedded you can belt sand or shave , but it's best to get it in the money . Don't stress to much about it , it will come to you .

Lol "if you build it they will come"