Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default D&S MARINE Supra drop off this weekend

Well after many months of looking and researching for places to do stringers I have settled on D&S marine in Illinois. I will be dropping the boat off this weekend after i have stripped all of the interior. Seemed very informative on the phone and have been the same if not less compared to other places pricing. (had a place in cicero IN want to charge 9-10 grand). They are hoping to get to it by early to mid march and have it done in 2-3 weeks. I will let all know of progress pics and what not. Here's to another one being saved!!!!

Word of caution...Have them write down on paper with estimate what they will be responsible for in the scope of work. List all actions associated with the breakdown and rebuild of your boat. List what they are not responsible for if need be. Is there a warranty and if so, make sure list as well.
    Make sure to add what type of materials will be used. Pine vs Fir? Marine grade?
    Make sure they understand they will need to photograph the entire process along the way.
    Agree only to pay (not joking about this) once all photos have been presented and the work properly examined.

Why would you do this? Because I used a highly recommended boat repair shop and in due time will present evidence of their fraud and deceit when I'm finished with all the repair that I now have to do myself.
    So, had I followed these recommendations above, I might have been able to settle out of court for more than I did with this liar and crook.
    I might have even got an entire refund of the $5k I invested with him but more importantly, he might have decided to do what he agreed to do. Recording the conversations we had would have been smart also.

Not trying to scare you, but protect yourself.
    Good luck!

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I have used D&S and have no problems personally vouching for their work and integrity. Next time my boat needs work it will go there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bears74 View Post
    I have used D&S and have no problems personally vouching for their work and integrity. Next time my boat needs work it will go there.

That's what I said about Bennett's Boat Repair and look what it got me!

I recommended over 15 people to him. I know he screwed them too!

He got caught and I hope nobody has to go through what I have.

If you trust D&S like I trusted Bennett's then by all means skip my warning.

Donny was the go to guy recommended from Supra. I'm sure he figured he wouldn't get caught and that I would never know. He lied and then lied some more and then was busted. Then he lied some more.

Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Again, trying to make sure all parties are protected. Will post thread up soon on my issues.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post

He got caught and I hope nobody has to go through what I have.

If you trust D&S like I trusted Bennett's then by all means skip my warning.

Donny was the go to guy recommended from Supra. I'm sure he figured he wouldn't get caught and that I would never know. He lied and then lied some more and then was busted. Then he lied some more.

Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Again, trying to make sure all parties are protected. Will post thread up soon on my issues.
    Sucks that that happened to you. You're right that it could happen to any of us, and it certainly could happen to me or someone I recommend them to. I'm also a strident believer in 'trust but verify'.

Quick update. Dropped the boat off after a 4.5 hour drive through the snow. I have gutted the carpet and interior before I made the trip. They said it will be a total of 6-8 weeks at the most since they have to finish some other boats up before getting mine in. They are going to completly gut the stringers and floor and replace with all new wood and glass (wood being treated with wood hardener) replace transom or swim platform mounts. replace surtraps with straight flaps. carpet will be matched to original. instead of having just the access in floor behind engine cover to get to prop shaft they are going to make it where i can access exhaust as well. floor will be glassed top and bottom as well as drain holes for stringers to allow all to drain to bilge. no foam will go back in. they are going to fix a few dings in the hulls and scratches as well as replace fender wells on boat trailer. full estimate will be this week at some point but they said it should be around 5 for all. I thought it was an overall good price. they are going to send me pictures throughout to keep me updated so i will let you all know how the progress is going

Is this D's marine in McHenry or D&S Marine in Roscoe?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Roscoe. Great guys and very informative

Roscoe is more of a hike for me than the D's Marine in McHenry as that shop is literally across the river from one of our lunch spots we go to on the boat. If you need someone to check up on it I might be able to help.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post

Very curious to hear the story behind this!