Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shortly after purchasing our cruiser, we took apart the bimini and enclosure and related pieces for cleaning. We scrubbed all the canvas pieces and left them on the dock to dry. When then took at little boat ride. Upon returning we found that several pieces were missing. The wind had blown them off the dock and they sank in about 15 feet of water. The problem is that this is a river and visibility at the surface is only about a foot. At the bottom it's about 4 inches with a strong light. I have a friend who is a great diver and he volunteered to try to find the green pieces of canvas in the muddy bottom. After about an hour he located all three pieces we were missing. He said there were all kinds of things down there and he never knew what he was about to head-butt as he swam the bottom.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Shortly after purchasing our cruiser, we took apart the bimini and enclosure and related pieces for cleaning. We scrubbed all the canvas pieces and left them on the dock to dry. When then took at little boat ride. Upon returning we found that several pieces were missing. The wind had blown them off the dock and they sank in about 15 feet of water. The problem is that this is a river and visibility at the surface is only about a foot. At the bottom it's about 4 inches with a strong light. I have a friend who is a great diver and he volunteered to try to find the green pieces of canvas in the muddy bottom. After about an hour he located all three pieces we were missing. He said there were all kinds of things down there and he never knew what he was about to head-butt as he swam the bottom.
    That sounds pretty creepy. Glad you have a friend that would do that.

A boat cover, sunglasses, fishing gear, a prop (later recovered). Aside from that I see a fair amount of beer cans. Visibility is normally 20'+ with good lighting so it's cool to cruise around the shallow areas and see what's down there. Now if we're on the river visibility varies from an inch to a foot or two at the very best. I just say it's full of sunken crackheads. Bad enough what's on the surface after a heavy rain, huge debris fields of railroad ties, telephone poles, large branches, deer carcasses, and various other debris often lurking just below the surface and difficult to see if it's calm. Not to mention pilings in various places that are submerged at high tide.