Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 82 supra build

90 mph in a Supra Beast? Why exactly? I've been 75 mph in a twin engine BAJA and that was designed and built for speed, the Beast hull, not so much. That huge Supra logo or backwards Nike swoop ought to add 10 mph. If you can do it, much respect, but I'd say get a bass boat with a large motor if you want a thrill ride.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    90 mph in a Supra Beast? Why exactly? I've been 75 mph in a twin engine BAJA and that was designed and built for speed, the Beast hull, not so much. That huge Supra logo or backwards Nike swoop ought to add 10 mph. If you can do it, much respect, but I'd say get a bass boat with a large motor if you want a thrill ride.
    Why 90mph cause it sounded like s good number.im not interested in what the boat is designed to do but more what is it capable of.and for a real thrill ride id go back to my 77 flatbottom sanger vdrive with my supercharged 502 stroker at 115mph

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

90 MPH won't happen with that hull. It'll likely get scary and unsafe too much above 60 MPH, just judging by what some of the classic CC guys have done. You're also fighting against a real steep shaft angle as compared to a Vdrive like your Sanger. These are towboats, make to left the stern, plane quickly, and put the torque to the water so as not to be slowed or yanked by a skier. Forget 90 MPH, but you can reasonably have a fun 60-65 MPH boat, depending on what speed you reach the hulls limits. For what it's worth my Saltare (23' version of your boat) with a very mild 454 will do 51 MPH with the factory 14x13 cast 3 blade. With a 13x12 CNC prop it'll do about 43 MPH.

Forget the 427w. Every 427 kit I've seen puts the pin in the oil ring land, she'll be blowing oily smoke in no time. If you want a stroker go with a 393, which keeps the pin below the oil ring. It's much better suited to longevity and sustained high load in a boat. If you really want to make a hot rod Personally I'd build a 460 based engine, even a very mild 545 stroker is a torque monster. You would need to upsize the prop shaft and log to run a prop with enough pitch, which you may have to anyway with a fairly wild 393 or 427 small block. No need for the cost and complexity of forced induction, start with a big block and either way even with a NA stroked small block you'll likely hit the limits of the hull. Also keep in mind a cam that pulls hard to 6500 RPM is likely going to have reversion issues.

Please keep us posted, I'm curious to see what these hulls can do and I enjoy high performance builds.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler_craig View Post
    im not interested in what the boat is designed to do but more what is it capable of

You realize these things go hand in hand right?

Good luck though. Would love to hear what this beast will sound like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    You realize these things go hand in hand right?

Good luck though. Would love to hear what this beast will sound like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I get it done ill upload a video. Plus a speed run video as well.lol.I know I may not hit 90 but it sounded like a good number so Im gonna run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler_craig View Post
    When I get it done ill upload a video. Plus a speed run video as well.lol.I know I may not hit 90 but it sounded like a good number so Im gonna run with it.

The 90mph man. Go you.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

It looks like a clean boat other than the sticker. The camo idea should look cool might as well install a tower to hold some speakers while your at it.
    2002 Supra Launch 22SSV
    ACME 1433 Prop
    Ghetto Gate

I've been selective about my description of my build when I have some free time I will break down my desgin and give an overall of what my intentions are and what I'm trying to accomplish with the build.

My hull design has the boat getting scary around 45-46MPH as the boat just hunts the entire time due to my setting on the wake plate. The way that I combat that if I want to go faster than that with my boat is I load it up on the trailer and hit the freeway where my boat is happy doing 70-80 there.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    My hull design has the boat getting scary around 45-46MPH as the boat just hunts the entire time due to my setting on the wake plate. The way that I combat that if I want to go faster than that with my boat is I load it up on the trailer and hit the freeway where my boat is happy doing 70-80 there.
    Haha, but not 90? See, told you that logo would add 10 mph...that's your problem.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242