Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1985 Supra Sunsport

I have a few questions that I've found a few answers on and some I haven't found any.

Transmission
    It started slipping last time I was out and when I checked the fluid it had a pinkish color. Also when I'm in neutral the boat doesn't stay still it pushes forward.
    I'm replacing the oil cooler and getting rebuilding the transmission with the gasket kit, clutch pack, and reverse plates.

No start when warm
    Every time it's cold or I let it sit for 30 mins or so after running it fires right up. But if I try and start it right after running it will click and maybe really slowly try and turn over once.
    Just checked my boat and it is a Weber carb. I'm guessing it's not marine so if someone can point me in the direction of a good place to buy a Holley or Edelman at a good price, that would be awesome. Hopefully that will solve the problem because this one looks like crap anyways.

Also there's just a lot of leaks it's seams like. When I pulled my starter to have it tested it's was a lot of oil or something on and around it. My fuel pump is really oily or maybe has gas on it that a bunch of gunk has stuck to. And right below my spark arrester is a good amount of gas there too.
    I just wanna be able to ride this summer!!

IMG_1962.jpgIMG_1959.jpg
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

I would replace the carb with a stock Holley marine carb. You need to check the main battery cables they sometimes corrode inside the isolation. I would just replace them they are over 30 years old. There is a good chance you have a rear main seal leaking you will need to pull the engine so you may as well change all the seals and gaskets.

Do I need to pull the engine to do the rear main seal even if I already got my transmission out? Or is there a way to acces it without pulling the engine?
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

IMG_1975.jpgIMG_1980.jpgIMG_1983.jpg
    Can anyone tell me what the last picture is? It has electrical going to it but can't figure out what it is.
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Rcweltz View Post
    IMG_1975.jpgIMG_1980.jpgIMG_1983.jpg
    Can anyone tell me what the last picture is? It has electrical going to it but can't figure out what it is.
    Looks like an electric fuel pump , and they left the old pump in the place so oil wouldn't leak from timing cover , electric can work as long as the power is switched when the engine turns off .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by Rcweltz View Post
    Do I need to pull the engine to do the rear main seal even if I already got my transmission out? Or is there a way to acces it without pulling the engine?
    No you do not need to remove engine , but you will need to remove flywheel and and dampener .

lively is correct if the trans is removed then you can access the seal by removing the flywheel . At this point I would remove the engine to gain access to all the seals and gaskets. Also there is a special tool to install the rear main I have it are you close to Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    lively is correct if the trans is removed then you can access the seal by removing the flywheel . At this point I would remove the engine to gain access to all the seals and gaskets. Also there is a special tool to install the rear main I have it are you close to Georgia?
    Curious on the special tool ? What does it look like ?

No I'm in CA, what is the tool? I've got the transmission just about put back together, and want to get started on the rear main once I finish. Wasn't planning on pulling the engine because I don't really have the equipment for it but could if I absolutely needed to. That would just be to get to the oil pan/ gasket? Or what other benefits would it give me?
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Jeez just something else that can go wrong, could that electric fuel pump wiring be the problem to a no start when warm issue? I don't like that and think I should go back to mechanical, thought?
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500