Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1983 Supra Rider. Need advice!

I am looking at buying a 1983 Supra Rider for sale on Craigslist. Any advice ? I've never owned a Supra boat before.

I own an '83 Rider. What specifically do you need advice on?

For early 80s Supras, this will help out.
    S= Something
    U= Underneath
    P= Probably
    R= Rotten
    A= Already

With that said, check the stringers, the motor mounts and the flooring. If it is rotten and you are willing to take on a project boat, once bought, then start a thread on here and have at it. Demo day is fun and after one or two or three years, we will await the finished product. The Supra forum will issue you a man card if you ever succeed at finishing the project while simultaneously keeping the wife or girlfriend happy during the process. Yes ladies, if a man say he will fix it, he will...there's no need to remind him every six months about it.

If the previous owner did all the work, then skip the afore mentioned advice and go buy yourself a lottery ticket but not before checking out the motor. Do a compression test, change plugs, replace impeller and look into swapping over the points to an electronic ignition.

Remember, dumb questions are easier to deal with than dumb mistakes so ask early and often. Seriously, they are fun boats and I'm glad to see another oldie on the forum. Post some pics up if you can.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Post up the Craiglist ad if you want to. Would like to check out...you mentioned $8k on another post I just read? I would like to see what the owner says.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Like he said. Supra didn't switch to composite floors and stringers until about 92. And the wood stringers were notched (in retrospect a design flaw), so they almost inevitably rot. A soft floor is one thing. But rotting motor mounts are another. If those are still tight, you may have a few years before you have to replace the floor and stringers. But it will need doing.

Also, there are several places where these boats can leak. The drive shaft packing needs to be replaced every so often, and it common to leak there. That's easy. The packing gland on the rudder can leak, and that's harder to replace. If the transom plywood rots, you can get stress fractures in the fiberglass and leaking around the swim deck support, the wakeplate stays, or the mufflers.

They are lovely boats that can put out a great wake. Just imagine buying a 83 Ford F150. It wouldn't surprise you to find that the emergency brake was operated with a pair of vice grips and that the engine needed a soft caress to start on a cold day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickb6 View Post
    I am looking at buying a 1983 Supra Rider for sale on Craigslist. Any advice ? I've never owned a Supra boat before.
    What is your goal of the boat and budget?

There is a difference between someone buying an older boat not looking to put much $$ back in it VS someone buying an older boat to restore back VS something else.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I'm guessing OP is looking at this one
    https://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/6012397101.html

Such a beautiful interior...nice to see the original style with that gorgeous teak.
    Then there's that wrap. Even the dog in that pic hates it. Usually the rotten floors devalue a boat but here I think the wrap takes precedent.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Yep, that wrap is "amazing", as the ad states.
    That would be one word for it.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Have a feeling this one might have good bones. Look at the interior. It has been done with a high expectation budget. I would suspect the stringers are the same. The wrap reminds me of the girls who would get tattooed makeup to save time in the AM, while at the time it seemed like a great idea. Trends change and then you are left with a mess to doctor up.

Love to know what was the original colour was. Thinking off white with the red stripe.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

On the other hand, talking more about the stereo than the boat is a bad start. I'm thinking if he had gone thru the torture of DIY stringers or expense of farming it out that would be the first horn to toot.

And, what's under that wrap...gel coat quality-wise?

Caveat emptor!

edit- check the keel, not a beaching friendly location in the pics
    Last edited by Salty87; 03-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.