Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ballast Bags not draining

I have a 2007 22 SSV my rear bags will fill up on there own on occasions and will not drain unless I pull ballast plug on bags and manually drain them. Are the ballast pumps bad? I have replaced the sprinkler valves.

Do you hear the drain pumps running when you turn them on? If not check for voltage at the pumps.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

For the filling up, that could be the water that gets forced into the scupper on the bottom of the boat. Pretty sure it was designed once the pumps are turned on, if you are in forward gear, it starts to force the water in.

Depending on what is in the bottom of the boat, some have taken a grinder to it. There are some threads about the issue.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by leetudor View Post
    Do you hear the drain pumps running when you turn them on? If not check for voltage at the pumps.
    Yep, if no volts at the pump, check the fuse under the dash.

If you have juice, replace the pump. A dealer can get them with the wire plug ready to clip in. Pay more. Online sites will probably have them if you Google the Rule part #. Get some good wire connectors and some heat-shrink tubing to keep the water out.

2018 Supra SL400

These are located by the transom. Probably hidden behind the back panel.
    One went bad on my boat after 3-4 years. The other worked properly, then I upgraded them.

Thanks for the feed back, what did you upgrade to?

Quote Originally Posted by st_lduncan View Post
    Thanks for the feed back, what did you upgrade to?
    Purchased 3 reversible Johnson pumps from Wakemakers. Reworked the lines for new ballast bags. Ballast upgrade kit.

One pump goes to the port rear locker ballast - 1100#
    Second pump goes to the starboard rear locker ballast - 1100#
    Third pump goes to the middle and bow bags. I have a Wye value that controls what bags fills/empties.

The sprinker-valve system was taking too long. This works much better.

I am having all the same issues. My drain pumps run, but they do not pull from the tanks. I do not want to spend $900 on the Johnson upgrade. Nor do I want to tear up the whole system. Not sure how to get the pumps to pull the water out though. I have read that moving the pumps closer and shortening the path works. Anyone else have a proven fix other than the impeller pumps?

For the fill issue, I will be doing electric ball valves. $150 for the set of 3 and will never have a self fill issue again. Also heard they fill much faster than the sprinkler valves.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV - Indmar 8100/496HO
    - 1235 Prop
    - 1180 center bag and 950 rears
    - Suck gate
    - Big stereo
    - RGB cup holders and drain light

Tow Mule - 2005 Escalade AWD 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by BADS24SSV View Post
    I am having all the same issues. My drain pumps run, but they do not pull from the tanks. I do not want to spend $900 on the Johnson upgrade. Nor do I want to tear up the whole system. Not sure how to get the pumps to pull the water out though. I have read that moving the pumps closer and shortening the path works. Anyone else have a proven fix other than the impeller pumps?

For the fill issue, I will be doing electric ball valves. $150 for the set of 3 and will never have a self fill issue again. Also heard they fill much faster than the sprinkler valves.
    Is the impeller spinning when pump comes on or is just the shaft turning? The little plastic impeller can slip in the shaft sometimes.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by BADS24SSV View Post

When I first purchased my boat, the driver-side rear drain pump needed replaced. It didn't turn on. The Rule pump was ?$50? from the dealer.

Testing the existing one or replacing it, you will probably need to take it out to check the impeller.

I have read the same thing. Shortest distance works best.

2018 Supra SL400