Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are you doing to your boat before the season begins?

Anyone do any winter projects or have anything in mind before it warms up?

I replaced my helm, steering cable and rudder last year with great results but have a little slop in the steering block so I'll be replacing that soon. If I can swallow the pill I'll be getting a 13x13 CNC prop seeking a bit more efficiency and lower RPM. The 13x12 on there now is overkill. Aside from that, the Saltare will need a thorough cleaning and due for polishing the hull. Repack trailer wheel bearings and inspect brakes. That's about all I have on my to-do list at the moment.

- replace starboard exhaust hose
    - replace batteries (both would be on their 8th summer, nope)
    - cut back water hose where it attaches to RWP - small leak from over-clamping
    - replace heater hose with new clear hose - when it gets cloudy I just replace it all with new
    - replace vent hose for extendable hot-tube thingy - it got stepped on and now has several large holes in it
    - clean cover and treat with waterproofing
    - decide whether to keep boat another full season or sell mid-season and start really looking for a new one (may defer this decision to July)

Stringers, floor, new remanufactured motor, new steering cable, new prop, maybe a radio.

cadunkle you have a 13 x 12 and you believe it is too much? I was thinking about going to the Acme 515 on a smaller lighter boat. Just curious are you at elevation?

Not enough pitch. I believe the engine will pull the load just fine turning a 13x13. Several people here rave about the Acme 541 13x12 so I jumped on the bandwagon since mine still had the original cast 14x13 prop, but I suspect those who like that prop are running significantly more weight than me or at a much greater elevation. I operate at sea level at my home ride spot and maybe 500' at the lake house.

The 515 is the same prop just drilled for a 1-1/8" shaft instead of a 1" like the 541. If you have a big block you'll probably want more pitch in a smaller/lighter boat unless you primarily surf and run very heavy. With a small block it may be a good match depending on your use.

New samson tower, wavecontrol, steering system, new cover, carpet and Im just now doing some upgrades to my ballast pumps. Im also pulling the carpet in the lockers and going to Herculine it.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Anyone do any winter projects or have anything in mind before it warms up?

I replaced my helm, steering cable and rudder last year with great results but have a little slop in the steering block so I'll be replacing that soon. If I can swallow the pill I'll be getting a 13x13 CNC prop seeking a bit more efficiency and lower RPM. The 13x12 on there now is overkill. Aside from that, the Saltare will need a thorough cleaning and due for polishing the hull. Repack trailer wheel bearings and inspect brakes. That's about all I have on my to-do list at the moment.
    i have my stock 13x13 sitting around if you're interested...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    Stringers, floor, new remanufactured motor, new steering cable, new prop, maybe a radio.
    that's a lot of work! how's it going so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by drockws6 View Post
    New samson tower, wavecontrol, steering system, new cover, carpet and Im just now doing some upgrades to my ballast pumps. Im also pulling the carpet in the lockers and going to Herculine it.
    what model boat? i'm always interested in how wavecontrol works on different models.

my list includes:
    surfgate automation w/lenco's for side-to-side switching
    new 100a alternator
    surf flap
    deep cleaning of the hull, wet sand, buff, wax
    re-wire tower speakers, add new sub
    replace trailer fender
    Last edited by jtryon; 04-05-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

its a 2003 22ssv. i had some ballast issues that are almost fixed so i haven't really got to see how nice the wave is yet. I'm finishing up replacing the pump with 2 and replacing the sprinkler valves. I'm excited to see if wavecontrol was worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by drockws6 View Post
    Fwiw my expeeience has never been good with herc. Look into upol raptor liner. Very similar texture to linex, very durable too

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah I've heard good and bad, i did look into the raptor a little..but groupon had a run of the herculiner for like $50 so i jumped on it. I heard thinning it out helps, I'm still doing some research on it. I need a couple nice days here in washington to put it in so I've got some time before the rain stops.