Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fuel pump not running, blown fuse [Update: bad fuel pump]

I have an 02 Launch SS with 270 hours, ran just fine 24 hours ago. Today I went to start the boat and it would only turn over but not fire. Went through the steps, air - fuel - spark. My indmar 320 is the TBI version, so I sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle body and it fired right up momentarily. Upon further inspection I realized the fuel pump was not priming at all. Looked through the forums all day and came to a post about a fuse blowing near the ECU that hinders the fuel pump from receiving power. Located the fuse and noticed it was blown. Replaced it, blew again. I must have a short but I'm unsure of where to start looking. I've taken a picture of the fuse area so please give any pointers on where to start looking. Thanks in advance.

Zk

Last edited by Zkdk3000; 03-21-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    '92 Comp ts6m - 5.8 PCM Pro Boss Carb
    '02 Launch SS - 5.7 Indmar Assualt TBI

Turns out the fuel pump is bad and that's what was causing the fuse to blow. Instead of making a new post I'm going to post my next issue here.

I've been on the phone with Indmar and Supra all day trying to get some direct answers on which fuel pump I need. I have not gotten a straight answer but only a recommendation.

My first questions is, does anyone know how much turnkey pressure is needed and how much running psi is needed on these motors? I have read in the chevy truck forums that it should be around 12psi running lbs, but that does not take into account the low pressure pump in my stock setup.

Second question is which of these three high pressure pumps that I've researched seem more appropriate?

Carter 61157
    -Max running 25psi
    -Static psi 40lbs
    -20 gal/hr
    -$115

Carter 61171
    -Max running 43psi
    -Static psi 120lbs
    -30 gal/hr
    -$70

Indmar s495126
    -specs unknown (even Indmar said they did not know and that this is the closest thing they carry to the stock pump that is no longer manufactured).
    -$270

I have read elsewhere that someone whom replaced their pump with the Indmar pump now has a poor running condition, guessing too much or too little psi. All three pumps resemble my exact stock pump. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Zk

I see in your post your year is an O2 I have an 08 Inbmar and I had a similar problem but it was a blown relay that feeds the fuel pump.
    I had the high-pressure pump psi tested once I got the relay fixed and it was at 60 PSI I don't know if there's a big difference between the years, I think you need at least the 43 PSI.
    I don't know if this helps you or not I just wanted you to know that the pressures are pretty high in the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh I forgot to mention one of those relays that are down by your hand in the picture also provide power to the fuel pump

If the engine is fuel injected or has a throttle body , it will use a electric fuel pump , that pump needs to maintain 32 psi no matter what , that's what all automotive engines use , and that pretty much the same .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by Jenvey View Post
    I see in your post your year is an O2 I have an 08 Inbmar and I had a similar problem but it was a blown relay that feeds the fuel pump.
    I had the high-pressure pump psi tested once I got the relay fixed and it was at 60 PSI I don't know if there's a big difference between the years, I think you need at least the 43 PSI.
    I don't know if this helps you or not I just wanted you to know that the pressures are pretty high in the fuel pump.

Thanks for the reply. My manual says fuel pressure must be 30psi minimum at key up. I've read elsewhere that at idle the psi should be around 12psi. A lot of conflicting info, I think the best option is to try the higher rates of the two and see if it burns out. If it does that means too much in line pressure leading to overheating condition.

Also, do you know which of the relays controls the pump? After I disconnected the HP fuel pump and removed it, I replaced the blowing fuse and turned the key. Low pressure pump primed and starting spitting fuel all over. So I would assume the pump was definitely frozen, or the plug went bad. Either way I just about destroyed it removing it - thing was really really really in there. Thanks again for the info and anymore suggestions please chime in.

Zk

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    If the engine is fuel injected or has a throttle body , it will use a electric fuel pump , that pump needs to maintain 32 psi no matter what , that's what all automotive engines use , and that pretty much the same .

That's also what I thought, but a few guys have told me that throttle body injected engines need no more than about 15psi. Very confusing. There are a couple more carter pumps I have found with similar specs, I just hate playing the guessing game - would rather get it right the first time.

Zk

Quote Originally Posted by Zkdk3000 View Post
    That's also what I thought, but a few guys have told me that throttle body injected engines need no more than about 15psi. Very confusing. There are a couple more carter pumps I have found with similar specs, I just hate playing the guessing game - would rather get it right the first time.

Zk
    Take the fuel pump off and find a part number

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    Take the fuel pump off and find a part number

There is a part number on the side but it doesn't cross reference to anything. GM discontinued it in 2010. Indmar doesn't even know the specs on stock pump.

Zk

Quote Originally Posted by Zkdk3000 View Post
    There is a part number on the side but it doesn't cross reference to anything. GM discontinued it in 2010. Indmar doesn't even know the specs on stock pump.

Zk
    What's the number that you get off the pump